Author Topic: Yellow top coil questions  (Read 4899 times)

Offline poboy427

Yellow top coil questions
« on: April 25, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
I need to know when the yellow tops used the index bump. I've got an date coke K-Oct '65 hipo and need to figure this out. I have heard that some of the brackets had holes in them but did not use a yellow top with a bump. I assume that was a transitional point in time until they used up the brackets with holes. My car has the bracket with a hole but had a replacement coil when I bought the car so I'm lost as to what would be original. I read where Texas Swede has a yellow top with the bump on his '65 Shelby so with my Shelby being an early '66 car it probably calls for the bump but just want to make sure.

Also, I believe the coil case goes satin black. What is the correct finish for the coil bracket and lastly the coil hold down bolt and bracket compression  screw/nut?

Thanks Ray

Offline jwc66k

Re: Yellow top coil questions
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 04:18:02 PM »
Ray,
 You opened a can of worms, so let the squirming begin. I have a coil date coded 5CDC (fourth week of March. 1965)sitting on my desk that has become a semi-permanent fixture. I don't know plant or car type it came from, except to say that it was a Mustang and, as the majority of Mustangs in the San Jose area were built in Milpitas (the actual city where the plant is located), I assume it's a San Jose car. The coil's identifying stamp was wet when the bracket went on and there is a mirror image on the bracket. That includes the date code.
 The bracket has the hole, angled at the top right for mounting, but the coil has no alignment dimple. It is painted semi-gloss black but with more gloss then the coil. The mounting bolt, 378604-S8, is clear zinc for 65-66. It should also hold the dip stick. Shelby owners will maintain that their coil brackets are natural steel, so let them jump in.
 My Oct 65 build "K" Fastback is the same as above, but I cannot verify that it's the original.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 07:18:25 PM »
Your late 65 built 66 Shelby would more typically not have the bracket with the index hole. It would typically not have the coil with the bump ether for that matter. What with the bracket issue with the index hole and no coil with bump It calls into question if ether is original to the car. The finish on the bracket could be ether the zinc phosphate or the semi gloss black. I don't know why the difference in the bracket finish just know the observation. If it were my car I would find a bracket without the index hole (not hard) and use that on your 66 instead of the one with the hole.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 08:51:37 PM »
................... I read where Texas Swede has a yellow top with the bump on his '65 Shelby so with my Shelby being an early '66 car it probably calls for the bump but just want to make sure.

Very different cars when it comes to little details. Sort of like using NJ found details to build a San Jose car ;)

........... The finish on the bracket could be ether the zinc phosphate or the semi gloss black. I don't know why the difference in the bracket finish just know the observation. If it were my car I would find a bracket without the index hole (not hard) and use that on your 66 instead of the one with the hole.

Have never found a black painted coil bracket on a 66 Mustang or later on an original car. Have seen allot on those that the owner "freshed up"   Just my observations.

+1 for the idea that I would find one without the indexing hole (both coil and bracket) for a fall 65 built San Jose Mustang or Shelby

Yes its possible that some engines received the brackets with the holes to use up some old stock but don't have any thing that would support that it happened for engines delivered to San Jose in Oct 65. Looking at the few pictures of Shelby's built around that time none of the original cars have the hole in the bracket

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 11:46:28 PM »
Jim,
The bolt on my car, 5S275 doesn't hold the oil dip stick tube. My tube has a bracket soldered onto it which is bolted to a bolt going through the water pump and timing chain cover.
Texas Swede

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 11:59:29 PM »
Jim,
The bolt on my car, 5S275 doesn't hold the oil dip stick tube. My tube has a bracket soldered onto it which is bolted to a bolt going through the water pump and timing chain cover.
Texas Swede
Tex,
 The same dip stick tube bracket, about 2 3/4 inches long, on my "K" engine goes between the coil and the head.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline poboy427

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 12:11:14 AM »
Ok looks like the non painted, no hole bracket, is the consensus. Jim would the bracket bolt 3/8x3/4" have a D head marking on Oct '65 K code SJ hipo? Being a little OCD, would the tension screw I mention have the nut near the hold down bolt or run thru the other way?

Thanks for the good feedback

Ray
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 12:14:22 AM by poboy427 »

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 12:28:14 AM »
Ray,
  One of my cars has a head mark of "R", another "LG" (L in the G). A "D" would not be unusual. The bolt description in the AMK hardware book states it has a ribbed lock washer. Keep in mind that this same bolt is used to attach the lower pulley to the damper.
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 12:28:58 AM »
......Being a little OCD, would the tension screw I mention have the nut near the hold down bolt or run thru the other way?

This should help and save some writing, trying  to describe it ;)  It's from a car from your cars time period

And this should help with the finish of the nut and bolt - picture from 66 ;)  BTW the bracket doesn't have a locating hole in it  8)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 12:40:51 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline poboy427

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 12:52:34 AM »
Ok fellas thanks for all the responses and sorry to have beat this to death. Just getting back to my project after a 'bout with Renal Cell Carcinoma and great to be back among the discussions.

Ray

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 04:03:20 PM »
Here's a couple of shots of my coil installation, and a pair of repro dip stick tubes showing the bracket and its bend. The tubes are 1966 part numbers, C6AZ-6754-A, described as "11 1/4 inch long-includes bracket", used on 66 and 67. P/N C5AZ-6754-A is used on 65 and earlier SB engines and described as 9 inches long but no mention of bracket. For 1968 289 and 302 engines only, a new tube was used, "10 1/4 inches long-includes bracket".
Jim

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 11:11:58 PM »
The 65 dip stick tube has a different bracket.
Texas Swede

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 01:07:26 AM »
The 65 dip stick tube has a different bracket.
Texas Swede

+1, it mounts to one of the water-pump bolts.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline poboy427

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 01:44:47 AM »
Spoke to a friend of mine that has a Nov 65 San Jose hipo that is a dozen ford vin numbers away from mine. He confirmed that his original coil bracket is without the index hole. So thanks guys. Came here questioning dimpled coils and found out my, thought to be original, bracket must have gone south with the original coil.

Ray