Author Topic: front and rear spoiler question. Was it dealer installed?  (Read 699 times)

Offline ng8264723

front and rear spoiler question. Was it dealer installed?
« on: February 26, 2024, 12:33:35 PM »
they are not on the not on the build sheet

I have a 70 with the old rust treatment plugs.  The original decklid had them as well.  I believe my car has an original spoiler and the hole for the prop rod on the deck lid but the louis Emminger sheet does not list it..........

Were all front spoilers added a dealer install?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: front and rear spoiler question. Was it dealer installed?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 01:33:43 PM »

I have a 70 with the old rust treatment plugs.  The original decklid had them as well.  I believe my car has an original spoiler and the hole for the prop rod on the deck lid but the louis Emminger sheet does not list it..........

Front spoilers that were part of a the cars factory exterior specifications were typically dealer installed during pre delivery /dealer prep. I don't know all of the possible reasons why but can you imagine how many would be damaged and scraped coming off the transport at a steep angle if factory installed?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 05:09:58 PM »

Are they listed on the Marti report?

I take it your asking about a Mustang not a Boss - correct?

We are told that the front spoilers were included and shipped with the car but not installed for the reasons Bob provided

For the rear spoiler I found a number of Emminger shipping invoices with the rear spoilers listed in the list of options. If you haven't gotten a Marti report with the information about how your car was built think its time.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 03:28:27 PM »
Factory rear spoilers will be indicated on the buck tag and build sheet. They will also have a hole in the passenger quarter extension for the prop rod.  .
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline ng8264723

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2024, 03:32:45 PM »
I thought the Marti report was based on the Emminger sheet

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2024, 03:49:35 PM »
nope. based on old mag tapes.
5F09C331248

Offline ng8264723

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2024, 11:48:49 AM »
Here is my report

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2024, 04:00:39 PM »
Not a Marti report but the second copy of the shipping invoice. Reposted to make it easier to view

As we can see there is no rear spoiler listed

Here is another invoice for a car where the spoiler option was ordered, installed and listed in the shipping invoice for comparison

Do have other examples with the spoiler option

Jeff Speegle

Online RoyceP

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2024, 06:09:37 PM »
During the 1980's and 1990's it was popular to add spoilers to any car that did not come with them from the factory. The Marti Report will say what options the car was produced with but typically it matches the options listed on the Emminger invoice copy.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2024, 02:23:23 PM »
I thought the Marti report was based on the Emminger sheet
nope. based on old mag tapes.
Lois Eminger (the correct spelling of her last name) worked at Ford in Michigan and saved many copies of corporate build sheets (not all cars or years) that Ford was going to destroy. Kevin Marti did get actual computer tapes from Ford with all the build data. In those years, IBM 5081 punch cards were used to "program" and store data. Ford transferred that data to tape for storage and general statistical information beginning with the 1967 model year. Data for years prior to that, 1966 and earlier, were not transferred and were destroyed. That's why Marti has 1967 and up data only. (The only data source for 1964-66 Mustangs available today is the "Mustang Production Guide, Vol 1 - 1964-66".)
Side note: the San Jose plant used a Philco 212 computer, and upgraded it to a Philco 2000 in the early 1970's. How do I know? They borrowed the Philco 2000 computer at the Ford Aerospace Western Development Labs (WDL) facility in Palo Alto at night adding a second shift in the WDL computer center. I worked at WDL.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2024, 10:19:37 PM »
Does that mean that for a car to be Concours correct, the spoilers should be in the trunk and not installed (as left from the factory) and was the valence pre-drilled or done at the dealer prep stage? Does that mean the that valence should have no holes in it?
Brad

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2024, 10:25:54 PM »
Does that mean that for a car to be Concours correct, the spoilers should be in the trunk and not installed (as left from the factory) and was the valence pre-drilled or done at the dealer prep stage? Does that mean the that valence should have no holes in it?
Brad
Concours correct as it pertains to the typical Mustang concours venues is as the car was from the dealer as delivered to the first customer . Things like front spoiler and antennas in the trunk etc. would be considered pre delivery.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2024, 10:26:31 PM »
Brad

Depends on where your showing the car and the rules of course. In general from the ones I've judged at and help developing the rules for the owner can claim that hsi car has been restored to the way the car was delievered to the dealer ship/left the factory or to the first customer but you have to prepare the car fully for either not pick and choose some details from one and other details from the other.

Example if you choose from the factory then all of the inspection stickers on the windshield for example would need to be there as well as the wraps for the seat belts, paper mats, seat covers and so on. Basically no dealer prep.

Had this one time when the owner didn't want to install his steering wheel wrap on his 70 Shelby. We had the discussion and I explained the options. If he choose to show it as delivered to the dealership then he would have had to remove the front spoiler, fill and repaint the front valance plus find all the other things to complete the look and his choose. He quickly choose to install the steering wheel wrap or just take a small deduction
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2024, 12:03:17 AM »
wheel center caps and trim rings were also part of dealer prep since they were also shipped in trunk.

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2024, 01:34:11 AM »
Sorry for getting off-topic but I am assuming that whatever guidelines you choose, you are still bound by the information on buidsheets/Marti-Reports that would dis-allow any dealership and pre-delivery changes to the car (e.g. radio upgrades). I am expecting that Ford followed a pre-delivery process and you would expect that to be reflected on judged cars.....  Please note, the question is for interest sake (enlightenment) and is not intended to raise debate or push an agenda - I'm just curious.