Author Topic: 1970 Rear Spoiler Angle  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Rbisch4

1970 Rear Spoiler Angle
« on: November 17, 2016, 07:58:37 AM »
I sent an email to Jeff S, but thought it might be fun to discuss this topic as I have heard various opinions on the correct angle of the rear spoiler for a 1970 Mach 1.  My current angle is based on the original 1970 brochure Ford put out which for me seemed like a logical starting point.  I would be interested to see if others have an opinion on this subject or is it just me over thinking things and the angle really is something more related to personal taste. 

1970 Mach 1 351 4V 4spd Metuchen Built

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Rear Spoiler Angle
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 05:03:32 PM »
Agree - though we might not reach the "correct" angle it should make for a fun exchange

Been discussed a bunch of times over on the Boss site since more of those got the rear spoilers. Not aware of any Ford document that outlined the "correct" or official angle. Can only imagine that the workers might have had their own way (pocket spacer or using their non-dominate hand as a spacer)

I always went with the "looks right" though others may have different opinions. Slight forward edge down and like judging - if it doesn't stand out when you look at the car its good. :) 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 06:21:46 PM »
I have the 70 version on my car and the angle is where it was when I got the car in 09.  Have to admit not wanting to leave well enough alone I went looking for some helpful information.  Not much out there so I did leave well enough alone.  The BOSS 302 site offers the most insight.  Some of the stuff I read over there pretty much states the thing is useless at any kind of normal freeway speeds.  Some discussions were about extreme angles and of little or no effect even at track speeds.  One point worth bringing up would be when setting the angle if one just centers the adjusting bolt the wing ends up with the angle Jeff suggested.  So maybe that's the answer to how the slightly downward angle was settled on ?  Anyway could be a fun topic and that's my take.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 07:14:42 PM »
I've always thought of that being an adjustment to trim the aerodynamics to put more or less weight onto the rear for handling corners (adjusted on an "as needed" basis) A "Pit Crew" kind of mentality, not really a right or wrong way unless you get too much "drag" or not enough "push".
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 08:41:19 PM »
The front spoiler was effective and did a lot of work but as Brian stated, the rear spoiler only became effective at high speeds. On normal cars and street driving the spoiler is really there for good looks. Almost every Mustang is different in wheels. color, stance etc. and so the optimum spooler angle will differ slightly to give it the best look. As long as you don't go for some radical angle, I would aim for maximum sexiness. Councours cars can be sexy as well!