Author Topic: Undercarriage Paint ? Nov 68 SJ  (Read 2028 times)

Offline Stangfast

Undercarriage Paint ? Nov 68 SJ
« on: February 13, 2016, 05:14:49 PM »
I have a 69 Mach 1 built in SJ completed in Nov of 68 and I am wondering if anybody knows if the undercarriage should be Red Oxide or a Slop type paint. Is there a paint code that one can use to come close to what was originally painted?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 08:15:27 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline cobrajetchris

Re: undercarriage Paint
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 11:08:26 PM »
My SJ built Mach 1 12/68 has almost a semi flat black to very dark grey tone. The car is factory black with original paint.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline Stangfast

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 04:46:59 PM »
Thanks Chris
Would you happen to have a few  pictures you could share with me. From your description and before I strip mine, it seem very plausible that my car had the same coating to within a few shades of yours.
Also I believed being a SJ car it wasn't meant to have undercoating, rookie mistake.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 05:21:18 PM »
My 3/69 San Jose Mach 1 is completely covered on the underside with sound deadener - as it should be as a Mach 1.  You really can't see enough of the original metal underneath to determine the base color.

I think what you see here is some black overspray from the pinch weld blackout and a LOT of red paint application on the underside metal when the car was painted (Candy Apple Red).

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 07:28:00 PM »
I have a 69 Mach 1 built in SJ completed in Nov of 68 and I am wondering if anybody knows if the undercarriage should be Red Oxide or a Slop type paint. Is there a paint code that one can use to come close to what was originally painted?

Number of threads out there on the subject of 69 San Jose undercarriages and the sound deadener applications that were part of the Mach I and Grande package. Should be plenty of pictures also.

Ford didn't apply undercoating though (depending on region) allot of dealers sold and or applied the stuff. If what you find goes from rocker to rocker. Front to rear its likely IMHO not factory stuff

Firewall forward (bottoms of frame rails and such was normally a red  oxide sort of pai/epoxy primer. Front firewall rearward was normally a batch color - so most of the time a mid to dark dark with a green or blue tint and maybe some metallic. No there is not a paint formula that reproduces the color since it was always changing at least a little. The other threads will give you a paint code where you can start from and tone it to match. At least it gets you in the neighborhood

Its best to find a hidden section of your floor where the original finish still remains. Lacking that let us know and we'll try and post some examples from the same time period to at least give you a starting place.

In the mean time search out those other threads and start reading ;)

You can find references in the 69-70 FAQ's

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4217.msg23284#msg23284

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=6314.msg35835#msg35835

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2199.msg11193#msg11193

Don't recall what thread these were originally used in but here they are again San Jose Mach I from the #131xxx period

Typical three passes with the wand while standing in the center of the car spraying up and outward slightly (make a difference on the shadows ;)
Hope this helps

As mentioned before worker applying the sound deadener went a little further rearward on the drivers side and pause for a couple of seconds with the gun flowing on this example

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 07:59:30 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)