Author Topic: Need photos of October '68-built 1969 Dearborn GT front sound deadener  (Read 2228 times)

Offline emptys

I've been peeking at http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11327.0,
where the topic is  Mach 1 front sound deadener,  but i think for dearborn GT's this would have
been different,  and likely not even included at all since the GT's didn't have sound
deadener on the underbody.

I'd expect the splash shields are covered with something, along with the upper fender
(to deal with paint chipping from rocks), but i'm not sure whether that would be sound
deadener or simply some other undercoating.

As usual, any help would be appreciated
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 02:36:44 PM by J_Speegle »
69 428 GT -- 9F02R -- build date 10/11/68

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Need photos of October '68-built 1969 Dearborn GT front sound deadener
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 06:02:23 PM »
Front wheel well sound deadener would not have differed based on model type so Mach I, GT or just a standard Mustang (now Cougars do appear to have gotten more in general but that's another thread)  would have gotten the same treatment in that area. The under body sound deadener applied on Boss 302's, Grande's and Mach I's is a different subject and unrelated from the examples I've seen. The variable was the individual worker and how much they wanted to cover and where.

Looking at other cars from your plant and time period I found the following. Note that some of the sections have fallen off over the years but those are easy to spot. To understand the spray pattern consider that the product was applied from a pit or area where the worker stood below the car shooting upward

All taken from standard base models of the plant and period - Hope this helps

Looking at the patterns on the inner fender panels and the cowl sections it apparent that sound deadener extended onto the splash shield at the front and the back. Though its difficult to take and show a 3 dimensional area in a picture I would like to offer that many examples have sound deadener sprayed connecting the front and rear patterns connected on the bottom side of the fender (the bottom surface of the fender) Sometimes this connection is only approx 6" wide while other times its wider than 14"

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 01:50:15 PM »
Did you see the B in Jeff's first picture?
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 03:24:16 PM »
Did you see the B in Jeff's first picture?

Its not a "B"

instead it's a "8"   IMHO and looking at ALLOT of these.

There is a horizontal line through the 8  normally located (if applied in that area as normally done) under the sound deadener so you will often only see a line or two peeking out from under the stuff. If old and thin the sound deadener allows you to sometimes see it through the material - may be due to years of sun exposure and the oils migrating through the sound deadener to the surface

You can't IMHO always accept what your see figuratively all the time ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline emptys

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 09:58:42 AM »
Looking for feedback -- thanks!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 08:23:27 PM »
Looking for feedback -- thanks!

Pattern for the sound deadener looks to be in the neighborhood. Did you seal the seams between the panels before you painted  the car?   Can't make it out in the pictures you posted
Jeff Speegle

Offline emptys

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 01:26:38 PM »
Sorry about the slow response Jeff...

Which panel junctions should we take a close look at?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 05:43:43 PM »
Which panel junctions should we take a close look at?

Torque box to wheel well - firewall panel and the firewall panel to inner fender panel and down between the front face of the torque box and front frame rail. Applied as a spray

Here is a Shelby example since they didn't get the over coat of sound deadener the earlier seam sealer is more visible

Jeff Speegle