Author Topic: Radiator paint  (Read 5840 times)

Offline DKutz

Radiator paint
« on: September 24, 2015, 03:30:41 PM »
So I had my rad hot tanked and rodded.  And they did a HORRIBLE job of painting the top tank.  I would like to repaint.  Any recommendations on what spray paint  to use.  I know eastwood makes a radiator paint but its really expensive and I am only painting the top tank not the whole Rad...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 01:53:52 AM by J_Speegle »
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 65 Radiator top paint
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 07:59:03 PM »
So I had my rad hot tanked and rodded.  And they did a HORRIBLE job of painting the top tank.  I would like to repaint.  Any recommendations on what spray paint  to use.  I know eastwood makes a radiator paint but its really expensive and I am only painting the top tank not the whole Rad...
If you want a cheaper alternative try Krylon semi gloss. It is only around 4 or 5 dollars .  It might not last long but will last for a while .It is cheaper then the Eastwood paint that is 17.99 but of course it is not designed to transfer heat in the same way as the Eastwood product. This reminds me of the saying about being penny wise and pound foolish.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 08:38:46 PM »
If you want a cheaper alternative - This reminds me of the saying about being penny wise and pound foolish.
There are certain areas you don't go cheap on - this is one. Use Eastwood. The entire radiator needs it.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 09:00:56 PM »
I used the Eastwood paint on my radiator a couple of years ago and it has held up OK.  There is gloss and satin version I believe.  I went with the satin paint as I did not know how glossy the glossy version would be.  Was actually going to ask this question in the next couple of months as my dad is sending me his original radiator out of his Hertz car to have restored here at a local shop...What is the best sheen to use?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline KevinK

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 02:50:46 AM »
I just had my 67 T-bird radiator re-cored.  When I explained that I wanted to keep it original, they suggested sending the old one to the radiator core supplier so they could transfer the date specific tags and straps. I was quite surprised it could be done so easily and it only took a day to do.  Two days for a re-core!

After repairs were completed, they asked if I wanted it painted.  They only use latex paint since the others are difficult to remove.  It came back looking great!  Will see how it holds up.

I almost gave up hope trying to find a radiator shop in the Bay Area who actually repairs radiators.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 11:28:33 PM »
I imagine the paint used on most early years is the same? Even 67 W-MO?

I found someone in my area to not sandblast, not replace my core, boil out (twice), to straighten fins and re-solder my failing bottom straps. Blame the mouse for that last one.
I love the fact that the top tank, tag, straps, core and bottom tank are all original!

Enough gloating. Are we still onboard many years later with Eastwood semi-gloss for concours? This is the small radiator, so one can or two?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 01:48:07 AM »
Enough gloating. Are we still onboard many years later with Eastwood semi-gloss for concours? This is the small radiator, so one can or two?

Have used the Eastwood and it was glossy which I'm fine with since most originals I've seen appear to have been glossy but of course this only last a short time before the heat cycles flatten the color/gloss

Would get two. Hope that you can get a full thin coat on all the surfaces and have a whole can left over for touch ups or redoes. It might not be available next time you go to buy a can
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 01:52:40 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

Re: Radiator paint
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 01:36:47 PM »
Glossy it is then!

Good point about buying extra paint before it goes away.

Thanks again, Jeff.
Bill

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 09:12:34 PM »
 I'm not sure gloss black is the correct finish on the radiator. I would say semi gloss black is more accurate. The radiator semi gloss would have slightly more gloss than the engine bay semi gloss. I have not seen a unrestored Ford with a gloss black radiator. Even NOS units in the Ford Box from the late 60's are not gloss black and they did not go thru heat cycles. My definition of gloss black & semi gloss black may differ from others?

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 09:54:50 PM »
On some parts I use SEM trim black in a spray can which is definitely on the "semi" side of gloss.
In a bulk quart size and used with an HVLP it's glossier.
Next up is Rustoleum semi gloss -- almost even with the quart if sprayed light, but still slightly glossier.
The shiniest, but still semi is Rustoleum semi-gloss sprayed a bit heavy. This reminds me of dipped parts. If applied too heavy it will drip "correctly".

The Eastwood stuff is just Acrylic Enamel. How/why it's rated to 300*F is unknown.

I've heard of others using high heat paint, but I'm not cooking steaks here. I think that stuff just holds in the heat.
Bill

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2023, 10:57:31 AM »
Tried it.

Eastwood glossy is too glossy/shiny, even after some good rides.
Eastwood semi gloss almost perfect.

Beside the fact thats not easy at all to ship that stuff to GER. ;-)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 10:59:48 AM by Ralf »
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2023, 01:02:53 PM »
Beside the fact thats not easy at all to ship that stuff to GER. ;-)
A friend that lived near Bonn, had car paints shipped from the US to a paint store there. Consider that technique. That was about 10 years ago.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline OldGuy

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2023, 04:59:06 PM »
If you want a cheaper alternative try Krylon semi gloss. It is only around 4 or 5 dollars .  It might not last long but will last for a while .It is cheaper then the Eastwood paint that is 17.99 but of course it is not designed to transfer heat in the same way as the Eastwood product. This reminds me of the saying about being penny wise and pound foolish.

+1 on the brand and choice of paint gloss.

I would remove all of the radiator shop paint first. The radiator shop paints that I am familiar with are Krapp at best. I would not paint over them because the rattle can paint will surely curdle the old paint.

I would also suggest spraying a thin even coat of acid etch primer (2 max) on all parts of the radiator prior to spraying thin even coats of the Krylon (2) ESPECIALLY on the fins. You can apply more paint (if desired) on the tanks and straps if desired.

The acid etch primer will ensure that the paint doesn't flake off of the fins prematurely.

Frank

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2023, 05:26:57 PM »
I like the Duplicolor gloss black lacquer for radiators. It?s more of a satin than a comparable gloss black enamel, seems to hold up well, and not affect cooling. Just looks right to me after a few heat cycles.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com/

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5