Author Topic: 1970 convertible front bow weatherstrip. glue or no glue  (Read 116 times)

Offline rare70cat

1970 convertible front bow weatherstrip. glue or no glue
« on: April 13, 2024, 09:03:39 PM »
On the front bow weatherstrip, should the weatherstrip use weatherstrip adhesive to bond to the bow and then the weatherstrip retainer screwed on or No glue/ weatherstrip adhesive, just the retainer? Weatherstrip adhesive makes sense but may not be correct. Thank you

Offline specialed

Re: 1970 convertible front bow weatherstrip. glue or no glue
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 09:56:32 AM »
Dont think they were glued as they came off easy.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 11:38:27 AM »
On the front bow weatherstrip, should the weatherstrip use weatherstrip adhesive to bond to the bow and then the weatherstrip retainer screwed on or No glue/ weatherstrip adhesive, just the retainer? Weatherstrip adhesive makes sense but may not be correct. Thank you
One way to solve the dilemma is to use weatherstrip adhesive and make sure any adhesive that squeezes out is wiped off so it can not be seen.  ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 12:45:29 PM »
One way to solve the dilemma is to use weatherstrip adhesive and make sure any adhesive that squeezes out is wiped off so it can not be seen.  ;)
You bet. I prefer "3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive" - 08581 (2 oz tubes at Amazon, about $10). You can "attempt" to mask the area with blue painters masking tape.
(I use 3M08581 adhesive last weekend on a neighbors security light fixture that needed its "internals" attended to. The original fiber gasket was destroyed when it came apart.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.