1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1966 Mustang

Differential ID 1966 K code.

(1/1)

Frank Bullitt:
Hi All, I am after some help please. I am missing the axle data tag. I have the correct 9" axle for my K code.

The differential has been taken out of the axle casing and the door data tag shows the axle as an E code, When you decode this it says the axle ratio should be a 3L50 With a model code of WCZ-T.

The differential with a code E and a 3.50 to 1 ratio should be a limited slip diff. How can I tell if I have got a limited slip diff fitted?

J_Speegle:
If I understand correctly then look to see where the ring gear is bolted to the carrier. IF the carrier has sunken areas surrounding where the bolts go through then you have a limited slip. If not then its an open

If you have the 3rd member out and visible
Open style on right

Not the only way but one of a number of quick ID features

Frank Bullitt:
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the quick reply, I believe I have the correct one but will look next weekend when I am back there.

Thanks again.

midlife:
To prove you have a limited slip differential, the next time you have the car up on a lift, put it in neutral and spin one of the rear wheels.  I believe the other rear wheel will rotate in the same direction; if open rear end, it will rotate in the opposite direction.
I believe this is correct.

Frank Bullitt:
Midlife, yes thanks but the diff is out of the axle casing at the moment!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version