Author Topic: Open letter COBRA valve covers  (Read 7541 times)

Offline dbenichou289

Open letter COBRA valve covers
« on: October 22, 2018, 08:32:21 PM »
I have a set of open letter COBRA valve covers that were removed from an engine back in the '90's.  I believe they were manufactured by ANSEN as I do not see the BUDDY BAR casting info nor the OFFY OECO casting. Is there a way to confirm these are indeed ANSEN covers even though they not include any casting info? 

All of the research I have done comes up with nothing...
'68 coupe 289 C4 (featured in Mustangs & Fords July 2003)
'67 convertible 5.0L EFI conversion (appeared in Mustang Monthly Feb 2017)
'90 LX 5.0L

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Open letter COBRA valve covers
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 10:07:24 PM »
I have a set of open letter COBRA valve covers that were removed from an engine back in the '90's.  I believe they were manufactured by ANSEN as I do not see the BUDDY BAR casting info nor the OFFY OECO casting. Is there a way to confirm these are indeed ANSEN covers even though they not include any casting info? 

All of the research I have done comes up with nothing...
Is there a reason why you want to confirm what MFG given that you already know they are not Buddy Bar? If they are open letter and not Buddy Bar they are about as relevant as any valve covers that you could purchase today is why the question. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline dbenichou289

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 07:38:28 AM »
I would think having original covers made in the day would be better than the reproductions of today, even though they are not BB.  However, since I don't have any repro's around, I was hoping someone would know how they are different. I am researching the history of these and if I will put these on my car, I can say these covers were available 'off the shelf' back when the car was new.
'90 LX 5.0L

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 02:53:29 PM »
.................... I am researching the history of these and if I will put these on my car, I can say these covers were available 'off the shelf' back when the car was new.

The challenge I see is that you have two vintage cars listed in your signature both produced well after this design would have been "on the shelf" for use as a dealer installed accessory/add on. Yes one could argue (not something that always works well when presenting a car) that a particular dealer had these sitting around for a number of years unsold rather than ordering and or installing the latest version. Not many buyers of new cars op to put on items that would date their cars even today.

Might consider trading them for more appropriate ones -period correct
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 03:00:53 PM »
I would think having original covers made in the day would be better than the reproductions of today, even though they are not BB.  However, since I don't have any repro's around, I was hoping someone would know how they are different. I am researching the history of these and if I will put these on my car, I can say these covers were available 'off the shelf' back when the car was new.
It is comparable to being "kind of pregnant" you ether are or you are not . The same goes for the valve covers . They are ether assemblyine style original or they are not. You would be believing a lie if you thought  "off the shelf back when the car was new " would be anything other then the BB marked version. The upside is that they look for all practical purposes the same from the topside.  Unlike the closed letter the open letter didn't start being redone until the late 70's I believe.  Unlike the closed letter valve covers which has many variations the open letter does not. The later open letter reproductions look as good as the assemblyline once installed.  The only thing that is very noticeable about a new set of reproduction open letter valve covers is that the fins tend to be too highly polished. Once installed your used set of non BB open letter valve covers will not look any different then the Buddy bare ones from the top side . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline dbenichou289

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 08:53:24 PM »
Good points gentlemen.  I think I will pass on installing them on the '68 for the reasons provided.  We won't discuss the '67 as that is in a totally different realm for this forum...

As J_Speegle suggested, I may trade or put these on the market, but it would still be interesting to know how to determine MFG.  As I don't really know what years these would have been installed or available prior the the '70's, would you know?  Curiosity has got the best of me now.

As Bob mentioned, I did not know the difference between originals and repros is the brightness of the fins, that is good to know.

Thank you again for letting me pick your brains.
'90 LX 5.0L

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 03:38:27 PM »
The open letter valve covers where basically only in use for 65 and early 66. They were readily available over the counter for a short period after that compared to the closed letter valve covers with the black wrinkle . The closed letter style were the ones that someone with a 67 or 68 would most likely have easy access to back in the day . The closed letter valve cover unlike the open letter style where used on later 66 and all 67,68 and 69 Shelby's and where popular enough for Ford to continually to have them made for several decades ( although with slight differences) after production ceased. After Ford stopped producing them the after market continued offering them to this day. 

Offline Dan Case

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 08:03:24 AM »
I realize this is an old thread but people search old threads.
All the "open letter" rocker arm covers were made by Buddy Barksdale's company based on call outs in the Shelby parts lists. The first four casting patterns DID NOT INCLUDE any "BUDDY BAR" text cast into them. All the textless versions were made in 1963. Versions one, two, and three were made for 1962-63 260/289 engines using road draft tube engine ventilation. The fourth version added provisions for oil filling / venting and a place for a 1964 model year grommet and PCV valve.

The original 1964 version for oil fill side (for Cobras) had chromium plated oil fill tubes and no "BUDDY BAR" text inside. The chromium plating was thin and low quality so tubes rusted red quickly. The assemblies were soon fully updated to cadmium plated oil fill tubes and had the famous "BUDDY BAR" text added. 1963-1964 all 1964 model year covers started as a single casting that got machined to become either oil fill or pcv sides. That means that there are 1963 made covers out there for a PCV that do not have "BUDDY BAR" in them either.

But buyer beware as there are "reproductions" of all the 1964 and later versions around. Genuine covers made in 1963 (any version) are pretty rare as loose parts.  Many of the first three versions got cut and welded on by somebody over time. Genuine covers made before fall 1964 are very rare as loose parts that have not been modified in some way.

Circa January 1965 through May 1965 multiple new wooden masters were made including a new oil fill sides and brand new PCV sides patterns. Revised casting designs greatly increased production capacity and greatly reduced the handling and machining operations required. By the time 1966 GT350s were being made there were at least five different sets of 1964 onward style patterns that had been used since fall 1964. Patterns all had small differences in them. One 1965 wooden pattern had a crooked fin which shows up in finished parts.

Covers of any version made during 1963 and 1964 are of most interest to Cobra owners. I have a 24 page slide show available via email for anybody interested in all the Cobra time frame versions.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 08:54:30 AM by Dan Case »
Dan
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 05:32:21 PM »
Thanks for adding to the knowledge base and great to keep new or additional info in a main thread where possible rather than having dozens of them :)

Going to move this over to the general Shelby section since these were factory on 65 and 66 now that we've separated individual years and they were used in two years.
Will leave the Weber thread where it is since it was an over the counter and dealer (in some cases) possible option
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Randyfastback65

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 02:05:27 PM »
I bought these last weekend at a swap meet. At first I thought they were just a set of open letters valve covers, but then noticed some differences. Notice that the COBRA text is centered instead of offset and the POWERED BY FORD text is a different font. Has anyone ever seen this style and can tell me anything about them

https://postimg.cc/F7rS8Xv1

Randy,
'65 owner for 41 years

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 05:17:20 PM »
They are a very early set of Cobra open letter valve covers that did not come with a opening for a pvc or a breather /oil fill neck. That set however has been modified for breather caps which although is interesting and practical ,ruins the historic value compared to a original unmodified set.

Offline Dan Case

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 06:20:52 PM »
They are a very early set of Cobra open letter valve covers that did not come with a opening for a pvc or a breather /oil fill neck. That set however has been modified for breather caps which although is interesting and practical ,ruins the historic value compared to a original unmodified set.

+1

They are the third of three versions for 1963 model year engines that have been modified. The modification can be undone but not economically if done very well unless you can do everything yourself.
Dan
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Offline Randyfastback65

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 06:59:47 PM »
Thanks for your quick response,  Now that I know what I?ve got,  I?ll probably just clean them up and hang them on the garage wall, or maybe put them out on the swap meet table and let a future owner try to fix them.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 06:09:25 PM by Randyfastback65 »
Randy,
'65 owner for 41 years