Author Topic: 69 70 Shelby shifter handle restoration  (Read 1339 times)

Online AJ

69 70 Shelby shifter handle restoration
« on: March 26, 2019, 01:21:31 PM »
Need to have the wood shift handle restored on my 70 Shelby GT500 automatic.

Anyone have recommendation for shop/expert at this task?

Adrian Jacobs
70 Boss 302  Dearborn, 11/22/69, original calypso paint,  original family ownership.
70 GT500 , 02/26/69, a/c auto, candy red

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 70 Shelby shifter handle restoration
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 05:23:54 PM »
Good question. Don't recall anyone asking that question before nor anyone advertising a service.

First guess would be one of the services that redoes the steering wheels for 65-67's then if that fails a gun smith

Would be interested in what you end up choosing and how it turns out.   Good luck
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 07:47:46 PM »
The refinishing of the wood is not that much of a problem .  Getting each half of the wood handle separated from the metal portion can be difficult without breakage. The problem is having the diecast metal portion of the handle re chromed. Not many company's re chrome diecast. Just trying to explain why there is not any people I have ever heard of the do the complete restoration in house. Because of the potential time and cost associated to the restoration of a genuine tired handle everyone I have ever heard of typically watched ebay or swap meets for a NOS or one of the nice repros that are now obsolete. This is meant in a helpful way so that you can make a informed decision.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 02:11:22 AM »
Out of curiosity, what type of wood were the handles made out of?

The Cougar Eliminators used a similar handle in '70, but with a silver running cat emblem instead of a cobra.
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 02:40:20 PM »
Out of curiosity, what type of wood were the handles made out of?

The Cougar Eliminators used a similar handle in '70, but with a silver running cat emblem instead of a cobra.
I would bet they were made by the same mfg and so it would follow the same type of wood. There were a number of variations of the same handle that were sold through Ford
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby