Author Topic: Help finding my original plate registration  (Read 2762 times)

Offline RocketScientist

Help finding my original plate registration
« on: October 05, 2014, 06:57:25 AM »
I have a 1970 Mustang that was sold out of Santa Clara, CA, in Dec 1969 and I was wondering if there was any way of finding out what its original plate registration was?
Thanks,
Brad

Offline jwc66k

Re: Help finding my original plate registration
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 02:52:24 PM »
I assume you have a Marti Report that listed the selling dealership, Frontier Ford. If the car was still registered in California, you might, but privacy and anti-stalking laws prohibit doing research into owners, current or previous. California deleted inactive registrations after ten years which puts another barrier in your quest.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 05:49:36 PM »
Look  through the glove box, under seats and carpet, contact old owners - look for old insurance paperwork, work orders, warranty and bills of sale

State will not be of any help as mentioned
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 09:45:02 PM »
Jim, You are completely right in that it was from Frontier Ford. I have tried contacting them in the faint hope that they might have some information but the passage of time is probably too great.

There isn't any other paperwork that came with the car. It's actually an old Boss 302 that had a hard life and sat on a trailer in California for nearly 20 years. One of this forum's memebers was probably the person in the old days that blew a tire and wrecked the LH rear quarter!
Thanks,
Brad

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 01:58:57 PM »
Have you tried posting over on the Boss 302 forum?  Tight knit crowd, someone probably has info - especially if you provide them with a VIN number.

Also, you could try contacting any previous owners that you have any info for.  Google them and dig up their current contact info.  It is easier than you think.
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Online midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 09:30:42 PM »
By plate registration, do you mean the plate on the door, or the license plate on the front/rear valence panels?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 03:13:28 AM »
Yes, I'm after the licence plate details as I think its a nice touch to be able to re-licence the car with the origianl plate number.

I have been slow in joining the Boss 302 forum but this is just the kick to get me moving. Thanks for the ideas.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 04:24:13 PM »
Yes, I'm after the licence plate details as I think its a nice touch to be able to re-licence the car with the origianl plate number.
Are you in California? The state has graciously authorized the reissue of old plate numbers, for black plates (yellow letters). Yellow plates had been done previously. Your car most likely has blue plates (yellow letters) which were not covered.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 04:36:21 AM »
Jim, I'm actually in far-flung Australia and so the car is a long way from home! I can get personalized plates here (though I pay a generous sum for the privilege) which can have the same color combination and numbers. So its great to be able to have a car with its original plate numbers after all these years.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 08:41:04 AM »
I have been following this thread because I also do not have the segment of ownership from the original sale of my 67 Mustang in Barstow California till my purchase in early 1978. Usually, California cars retain their plates unless they become damaged or destroyed for certain reasons. My original plates and any previous ownership was lost because the car had been involved in a somewhat minor accident and at 10 years old, easier to TOTAL the car than repair it (amazing, I fixed it with only $120 in the day) The Marti Report gave me some info and I've tried (also state of California) the DMV and selling dealership (which has just recently changed owners again) with no avail. I imagine that piece of history will remain as unsolved unless a contact at or through Ford Motor Company releases any more than what Kevin Marti has access to, nothing else likely can happen.

In 1984, I purchased a set of "California Sunset" vanity plates for my car, replacing the Blue/Gold plates that were issued in 1978 (from memory, plate number 967 VGU) The "Sunset" plates were one of 4 styles available that year and to me looked great! I had a difficult time looking through a book of previous plates that were unavailable but finally found one I liked. I wanted the year (67) and GT or GTA in the plate and ALL of my ideas I wrote down before going to the DMV had already been taken. I DID manage to secure 67GT4ME as a plate number.

I say everything above because it lays the groundwork for what I will be using as plates on my car when I show it. A couple years back, I found a site that made custom plates for all states and countries, for all years. They claim to make plates for movie props. Anyways, My wife bought me a set of BLACK/GOLD California license plates with my 67GT4ME plate numbers/letters on them and I swear, they look just as original and NEW as in 1967. I did have to buy a validation sticker from another source, but I plan on using these when I show the car. I could have ordered ANY comination of letters, numbers I wished but instead used the ones I had made by the state of Ca. in 1984. I live in OHIO now, so I cannot actually drive on these legally, but I have found a way I can attach the Ohio 67 YOM (year of manufacture) plates over the top with plastic wing nuts & rubber washers from the backside, ...that is should I ever have a need to drive it on the roadways.

I looked for the site again this morning, but I see they are no longer selling the California plates (maybe State of California blocked or sued them, I don't know) but there is a "Special Request" form you can attempt to have a set made with. Given that you are in Australia, they might be willing to do them. It won't hurt to try. When my wife ordered these a few years ago, the site mentioned they would NOT ship them to California, I was in Ohio, so I got them. I imagine once again, the unscrupulous took this avenue to order them directly from a web order anyways.

Again, at that time, we COULD HAVE ORDERED WHATEVER ARRANGEMENT WE CHOSE, there were no restrictions I was aware of. This to me is saying to anyone reading this comment, you can order an original plate with BOSS302 or whatever you want, even if somebody else already has that arrangement in your state, you just cannot DRIVE on them! I am OK with that, I will have a SHOW car, not a driver car and as I said, I won't be stupid and drive on them anyways simply because "Who will know..."...I'll know, and heaven forbid if needed, I am sure the insurance company would know if I ever needed them "by accident".

For anybody (outside California) who simply needs a really nice set of original looking show car plates, here is a link that can get you to the correct page for that.

http://www.licenseplates.tv/special-request-form.php

Richard
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 09:32:28 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 10:32:59 AM »
Richard, that's a really good website. It's a nice touch with an authentic car having authentic looking plates.