Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Body, Paint & Sealers

Acapulco Blue in modern PPG DBC

<< < (2/3) > >>

rodster:
One of the best colors IMHO.  8)

1969 Cale II:
I use PPG paint on my resto's. Top coat is more important than the base, I use Omni Plus, this is your protection against uv and the weather. I am learning that PPG may not be able to mix some old colors because of no pigments. Get a half pint mixed and do a test spray. If it looks good go for it. Quality clear is most important

Bossbill:

--- Quote from: jmlay on March 20, 2023, 12:51:35 AM ---I know these cars were originally painted in single stage. I have chosen to use base clear.

While I may be incorrect, it's my understanding of one goes to a PPG distributor and asked for Acapulco Blue, 3077-A/13357, the mix codes are only available in their ShopLine, unavailable in Concept (DBC). Is this accurate? Has anyone had an original paint car scanned and mixed in PPG Concept, base/clear?

--- End quote ---

I had my local PPG dealer mix according to what they said was their "proper formula" based upon the original mix formula. This was for Lime Gold in DCC Concept.
It was several shades too dark.

I've used their special photo analysis camera of original paint done and the metal flake was incorrect.

I've asked and received formulas from others that said they had the perfect color but they gave me mixes for systems not available anywhere within a state's distance.

If you think you will get a proper mix without a very good paint man doing a dozen or so sprayouts on paint cards you will be disappointed.

DragPack69:
sorry , I forgot about his topic.
I just checked the number on my can of touch up and 13557 will match.
If you need more info, PM me and I will send you my cell#

John

jmlay:
The information I has received was incorrect. This is was mixed using the PPG paint code, 13557.

From what little original paint is on this car, this looks very close.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version