Author Topic: 69-70 Radio Delete Panel  (Read 2498 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
69-70 Radio Delete Panel
« on: January 03, 2021, 10:15:14 PM »
Thought we had a thread with pictures but it didn't come up in a search. If found I'll merge but I wanted to share a picture of both the standard and deluxe interior versions that I posted elsewhere this last week. Hope it helps someone - currently or in the future

There is a 70 radio delete thread listed before but no pictures

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=3905.0

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline specialed

Re: 69-70 Radio Delete Panel
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 12:17:01 AM »
Anybody know where a woodgrain delete panel is? thanks

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 01:22:57 AM »
Anybody know where a woodgrain delete panel is? thanks

Yes.  I'll PM you the contact info.
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 01:30:44 AM »
I recently received some pics of two versions of "radio delete" plates.

I believe this one is the "standard" interior, in black camera case.
PN / Eng#: C9ZB-6504302-N

Mike B.

1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Cat Bites Man!

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 01:37:23 AM »
Woodgrain / Deluxe "radio delete" panel.

PN / Eng#: C9WB-6504302-KW

Any idea why this part has a Cougar part number (C9WB)?  I ran it by the Cougar experts and was told that '69 / '70 Cougars did not use a woodgrain radio bezel, and that the wood grain doesn't match the grain that Cougars used in either the Décor or XR-7 trim.

Mike B.

1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 01:58:38 AM »
Any idea why this part has a Cougar part number (C9WB)?  I ran it by the Cougar experts and was told that '69 / '70 Cougars did not use a woodgrain radio bezel, and that the wood grain doesn't match the grain that Cougars used in either the Décor or XR-7 trim.

So your contacts are saying they believe the black camera style was installed on Cougars with the MUSTANG across the radio area? Since that is the none woodgrain version

Consider that the casting number may not directly relate to or reflect the wood grain style on the face. Interesting that the people you talked to state that a radio delete panel in a 69-70 was a black camera finish rather than a match woodgrain. Believe I owned one with wood grain that did not match that did not match the Mustang straight grain pattern but didn't take a picture of it before I sold it. Which I would have now since it would be better than just a memory :)

Like often discussion of details expand to other related items. You might or not know that 69 Mustangs also used other parts through the production years that were stamped with 69 Cougar engineering numbers on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 02:16:30 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 02:09:26 AM »
Did follow up with a look at my picture files and even though we're getting off thread a bit (can split if needed) here is a picture of one with an ink stamped identification engineering number to help. Sure someone in the Cougar community has a MPC from 69 or 70 that can look up the number

Might want to show you contacts these pictures or the thread since it can be viewed by non-members in this section. Think the grain pattern is a match. Guessing that not that many of these were made and if the plant didn't have the correct match they may have substituted something

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 02:14:55 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 06:45:57 AM »
I did not find the 04302 basic part number in the text section of the 65-72 L-M MPC, so I went to the diagram and noticed that the number we should be using (for the Cougar) is 04774. Refer to picture #1

Part number 04774 was not used on 67-68 or 71 & up, it was only on 69-70 Cougars.  There are "without radio" and "with radio" groups for each of the two years. Refer to picture #2

I went back to the equivalent Ford MPC - refer to pictures 3 & 4.  The Mustang listing is much simpler - black vs. light teak vs. dark teak, then with or without radio.  The Cougar had a wood grain version, but for standard interior the part was color keyed and therefore the MPC has a lot more individual part numbers comparatively speaking.

Unfortunately this is a case where the number cast into the part does not help us identify the service part number.

John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 08:06:36 AM »
Unfortunately this is a case where the number cast into the part does not help us identify the service part number.

It helps to have a cross-reference manual. The C9WB-6504302-J engineering number cross-references to a C9WY-6504774-C service part number.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 11:03:48 PM »
So your contacts are saying they believe the black camera style was installed on Cougars with the MUSTANG across the radio area? Since that is the none woodgrain version

Consider that the casting number may not directly relate to or reflect the wood grain style on the face. Interesting that the people you talked to state that a radio delete panel in a 69-70 was a black camera finish rather than a match woodgrain. Believe I owned one with wood grain that did not match that did not match the Mustang straight grain pattern but didn't take a picture of it before I sold it. Which I would have now since it would be better than just a memory :)

Like often discussion of details expand to other related items. You might or not know that 69 Mustangs also used other parts through the production years that were stamped with 69 Cougar engineering numbers on a regular basis.

Did follow up with a look at my picture files and even though we're getting off thread a bit (can split if needed) here is a picture of one with an ink stamped identification engineering number to help. Sure someone in the Cougar community has a MPC from 69 or 70 that can look up the number

Might want to show you contacts these pictures or the thread since it can be viewed by non-members in this section. Think the grain pattern is a match. Guessing that not that many of these were made and if the plant didn't have the correct match they may have substituted something

Thanks Jeff ~ not the camera case / black pebble grain with MUSTANG on it (LOL!), but presumably a Cougar equivalent.

The Cougar folks did bring up the existence of the burl grain delete plates though, used on applicable XR-7's.  Matches the pics you posted with the burl grain!
https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/c9wb-6504302-j.html

As far as the Cougar part numbers showing up on Mustangs, it's interesting seeing some of the parts that were handed up to the older sibling!

I went back to the equivalent Ford MPC - refer to pictures 3 & 4.  The Mustang listing is much simpler - black vs. light teak vs. dark teak, then with or without radio.  The Cougar had a wood grain version, but for standard interior the part was color keyed and therefore the MPC has a lot more individual part numbers comparatively speaking.

Ah!  So the standard interior version was color keyed!  That would sure add a wrinkle to the rarity of some of them, like red or blue!  D'oh!

WCCC also has a picture of a GREEN radio delete panel in the pebble grain.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/70radiodelete.html
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 11:16:01 PM by Mike_B_SVT »
Mike B.

1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 12:39:14 AM »
Thanks Jeff ~ not the camera case / black pebble grain with MUSTANG on it (LOL!), but presumably a Cougar equivalent.

The Cougar folks did bring up the existence of the burl grain delete plates though, used on applicable XR-7's.  Matches the pics you posted with the burl grain![/quote]

Yes different base version compared to Mustang one.  Noticed that at lease one person is again looking into reproducing the plates. Not sure which version they will choose since doing both will double their costs.

Ah!  So the standard interior version was color keyed!  That would sure add a wrinkle to the rarity of some of them, like red or blue!  D'oh!

WCCC also has a picture of a GREEN radio delete panel in the pebble grain.

Doesn't look green but it is a camera finished flat version - different from the Mustang version

Getting a bit off the original focus may choose to separate this later discussion to appropriate Cougar area
Jeff Speegle

Offline blackjadeboss

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 11:30:35 AM »
Thanks to Mike for posting the pics of my plates.

I purchased that woodgrain piece in the late 80’s or early 90’s when I was building my 70 Cougar.

I believe it came out of California but that was a long time ago. Also got the firewall and cowl pieces for heater delete. Was told they came out of a car in Hawaii.

Offline JohnSlack

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2021, 03:28:32 PM »
My 1969 BOSS 302 was originally sold by Bob Brock Ford in Big Spring, Texas. I talked to Bob one time about the car and mentioned the lack of a radio on the order. Bob said, "Right I rarely ordered cars for stock with a radio installed. I sold people the radio....more profit, nobody in West Texas wants a car with no radio!"
John