Author Topic: Mach I Trunk Stripe With and Without MACH I  (Read 5475 times)

priceless

Re: 1969 mach1 stripes on trunk
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 10:17:18 AM »
Lots of pictures of most of the preproduction cars have some non production details  that are different. One of the general reasons advertising and brochure pictures are often poor research material when doing restorations............

Had no intentions of posting this photo for someone to use as "research material"......Read my last sentence.

Happy New Year !!!

9TO2Hknot4cell

Mach I Trunk Stripe With and Without MACH I
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2019, 07:59:57 PM »
I know this is an older thread, but some say that the early mach 1's did not have the words "mach 1" in the trunk stripe.  I was under the impression that only the early mach 1's used for the press release photos were the only mach's with the mach 1 delete in stripe, then sometime in the early build of the mach 1's, that the mach 1 name was in the stripe from then on at all 3 plants.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Mach I Trunk Stripe With and Without MACH I
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2019, 08:29:55 PM »
I know this is an older thread, but some say that the early mach 1's did not have the words "mach 1" in the trunk stripe.  I was under the impression that only the early mach 1's used for the press release photos were the only mach's with the mach 1 delete in stripe, then sometime in the early build of the mach 1's, that the mach 1 name was in the stripe from then on at all 3 plants.

Guess your referring to the lack of MACH I lettering on the trunk lid stripe and not the side stripes

Ford had some problems (or maybe we should say 3M) with producing the stripes as designed. There was an issue with the reflective material that created a delay of stripes that reflected as designed and then there was the MACH I lettering your referring to. This is something that took place during the early part of the production year for Mach I's  and not just the ad cars. One example is shown in the Unrestored Picture Thread - Under the Jan 69 San Jose H Code Mach I  heading.

Here is another example - this time a NJ Mach I with a projected build date from Nov 1968 with no rear Mach I. Looks like there is a good possibility that that style rear stripe was installed to the end of 1968 or slightly beyond

Don't recall ever doing a survey as to how late in the year the earlier versions of the stripes were used on the line (the non-reflective one would be tough to figure out in pictures). Not sure if the instructions were to use up the earlier versions or if it was a hard change over. Never seen any reference to them in documents except for the non-reflective issue/problem from 3M

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

9TO2Hknot4cell

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2019, 10:21:06 PM »
Yes, trunk stripe. I mentioned that in my first sentence. 

Thanks for the reply.

Offline jtboss302

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 01:48:09 PM »
I am restoring a 69 Mach 1 built in San Jose on Dec 30 1968 and the stripe kit I bought has the MACH 1 in the trunk stripe.  If I install this would it still be concourse trailered correct?   If not does anyone know if anyone makes the stripe kit without the MACH 1 in the trunk stripe? 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2021, 04:36:26 PM »
I am restoring a 69 Mach 1 built in San Jose on Dec 30 1968 and the stripe kit I bought has the MACH 1 in the trunk stripe.  If I install this would it still be concourse trailered correct?   If not does anyone know if anyone makes the stripe kit without the MACH 1 in the trunk stripe?

Depends on how you look at it. Would it be correct?  Likely no based on other examples from same production period and plant

If you show the car with the Mach I in the rear stripe you may or may not be deducted for it just depends on the experience and knowledge of the judges.

So you have to ask yourself, it is your car, how correct or original you want your car and how you will answer when someone asks at a show how come your car has the Mach I cut out in the rear stripe.

Restorations are always about choices. Make a plan from the beginning and stick to it. Changing course later or veering off the path means more work, extra expense often and other issues. Many of us have seen or done this and we want to keep others from repeating the process
Jeff Speegle

Offline jtboss302

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2021, 01:44:47 PM »
Yeah, I agree Jeff, anything worth doing is worth doing concourse    I just have to find the correct stripe    Maybe after Marti opens in 2 weeks .....

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2021, 06:23:52 PM »
Yeah, I agree Jeff, anything worth doing is worth doing concourse    I just have to find the correct stripe    Maybe after Marti opens in 2 weeks .....

Well in this case I would thing Anything worth doing is worth doing correctly or as originally done. 

When you find them please post that way it will go to help others and reward whomever makes them with increased sales then in turn reinforcing their efforts for producing correct products for those that need these product that are different
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2021, 08:51:53 PM »
As someone who used to make custom vinyl stripes/numbers for race cars, replicating that stripe is very easy -- if the 3M (Oracal or other vendor) color name and vinyl type are known. The back of the stripe kit may have the Vendor name and vinyl type written on it. If you can find who made it then you just need to find the color via the color charts (online).
Another option would be find a color that's very close and replicate the whole back-end stripe set. That way you'd never notice any small variation in color between the back and the sides.
You might consult with a vinyl stripe outfit
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline jtboss302

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2021, 11:09:00 PM »
I will have to double check, but I believe the stripes were made by Decal Magic and sold by Scott Drake Automotive Group and yes, they did use 3M paper.  From what I hear Kevin has closed for a couple weeks due to covid, so when they open I'll check with Marti to see if they are making them.  If not, this might be a good thing for Jack to try and have made.