Author Topic: 70 FMX - Vent Tube Retainer and Details  (Read 167 times)

Offline tgilliam

70 FMX - Vent Tube Retainer and Details
« on: January 15, 2024, 11:42:23 PM »
Good Day All,
I am reviving this old Post to make reference to the first picture in Reply #2 by Jeff Speegle.
We are currently doing some detailing on the FMX transmission for my 1969 Shelby GT 350 convertible, #480202, Build date 01/09/1969.
In the picture mentioned above, what I believe to be a vent tube on the passenger side of the transmission is shown. There is a retaining clip for this tube. The one on my transmission is damaged/partially missing. I am looking for a picture of that clip in order to try to find a replacement.
Any help would be appreciation. Thanks for your time.

Tom Gilliam
tom@jtgil.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 70 FMX - Vent Tube Retainer and Details
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 11:52:09 PM »
Good Day All,
I am reviving this old Post to make reference to the first picture in Reply #2 by Jeff Speegle.
We are currently doing some detailing on the FMX transmission for my 1969 Shelby GT 350 convertible, #480202, Build date 01/09/1969.
In the picture mentioned above, what I believe to be a vent tube on the passenger side of the transmission is shown. There is a retaining clip for this tube. The one on my transmission is damaged/partially missing. I am looking for a picture of that clip in order to try to find a replacement.

I know of no "clip" originally used. The tub has an arm attached (welded) to the upper third that attaches to the engine assembly with a bolt. The other end is retained in the transmission case with a rubber o ring in a depression at the lower end of the tube
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tobkob

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 08:08:34 PM »
Jeff,
I think he may be asking about the clip on the steel vacuum tube for the modulator valve... :)

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 09:17:36 PM »
Jeff,
I think he may be asking about the clip on the steel vacuum tube for the modulator valve... :)

No now I see it - he was asking about the vent tube.  I got confused and skimmed over that wording since the subject title and discussion was about the dipstick/filler tube

Maybe I'll split that post and these once I look to see what I have in pictures of the vent tube. That way discussion stay together on the same subjects
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 09:22:44 PM »
Any help would be appreciation. Thanks for your time.

From a 70 FMX but looks to be the same

Jeff Speegle

Offline tgilliam

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 04:07:28 PM »
TOB,
Thank You for further defining the description of the tube I was referring to - steel vacuum tube for modulator valve. I was not sure what to call that line.

Jeff,
Thanks a million for the picture. That's exactly what I was looking for, the information I needed. I tried to add words to the title when I wrote the reply but it did not show up when I Posted. I guess I did not edit it correctly for posting. Your picture of the passenger side of the FMX transmission in the old Post was the only one I could find but did not do a good job describing what I was looking for.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Tom Gilliam
tom@jtgil.com