Author Topic: 70 Dearborn 428 CJ Engine Paint Marks  (Read 4179 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
70 Dearborn 428 CJ Engine Paint Marks
« on: December 19, 2014, 09:55:45 PM »
Disclaimer: :) As always we need to warn that unrestored does not always mean unaltered by previous owners. Just because this car has/had a specific detail does not mean your car was built just the same. Always do your research, document your findings and make the best choice for you and your expectations.

Now that the standard warning is out of the way was labeling pictures again today and thought some of the site members might find these interesting even though the mast majority of them would never be seen on a finished car.

Car is a 70 Dearborn built CJ that had reported to have never been apart before and was being disassembled to check the workings and get new gaskets.
VIN starts with #123xxx putting it somewhere in November 69 for a possible car completion date.

Have seen many of the same markings on other examples

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lifter Valley

Drivers Side Head rear surface & Rear Block colors VIN was found on the rear surface of the drivers side head

Passenger Side Head & Rear Block colors Arrows highlight the end of the crankshaft mark, back of block mark and a paint/color transfer from the automatic filler tube

Drivers Side Head front face

Passenger Side Head - White stripe under the Engine ID sticker location

Hope these help others in their Concours endeavors
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Mike_B_SVT

Re: 70 Dearborn 428 CJ Engine Paint Marks
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 01:22:23 AM »
Thanks Jeff!  Good stuff :-)
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 02:41:32 AM »
I love this stuff!!!
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline specialed

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 01:15:44 PM »
any pic of rh panrail area just below freeze plugs   starter cable routing? thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 03:53:01 PM »
any pic of rh panrail area just below freeze plugs   starter cable routing? thanks

On this car the engine was out and apart when I got access to it so no pictures from when the starter cable was still routed on/near the engine

When I saw this car that first time the cable was still attached to the solenoid and to the starter which was sitting on the strut rod support

Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 06:04:01 PM »
note the shorter rounded corner J strap & writing on cable   wonder if 2 j-straps &  dota starter?  lokks like ca emission blue canister

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 07:31:06 PM »
note the shorter rounded corner J strap & writing on cable   wonder if 2 j-straps &  dota starter?

Can't  tell - from all the angles the starter cable was sitting under the vapor canister and I didn't take the time to move everything around

looks like ca emission blue canister

Yep - local car. Will post some additional pictures of the car in a new thread - unrelated to the engine block assembly.

As always - never get pictures of everything nor have hours to go over most cars :(
Jeff Speegle

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 04:30:08 PM »
wonder if ...  dota starter?

Should it be a D0TA starter?  CJ site lists D0TF as the correct starter for a '70 CJ.  I tried searching the various sites, but there seem to be few (if any) examples from original cars. 

I crossed my fingers and crawled under my car to check the starter, but I have a D0AF with a Jan '71 date code :-/
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline specialed

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 05:33:14 PM »
yes dotf id on starter & trying to figure out when ford went to that starter from c8af fall of 1969  I am thiking.