Author Topic: **REWARD** for info on my old 1967 Shelby GT500 in CA  (Read 1452 times)

Offline BlueOval

**REWARD** for info on my old 1967 Shelby GT500 in CA
« on: January 07, 2015, 02:10:54 PM »
Ok, this is a huge long shot, needle in a haystack, etc, but here it goes;

I am looking for a 67 GT500 I owned in 1981-1982 and am willing to pay a reward for the location of this Shelby. I do not have the Ford vin# or Shelby vin#.  I purchased this car from a guy named Chris Kaufman who owned and operated Advanced Engineering West in Downey, CA without a motor or trans. The car had just been painted Nightmist Blue and it had a white interior with mild overspray all over it. I don't know if this was the original exterior color but I changed the interior over to black and can't recall any type of color change on the floor and I don't think the paint job was of the quality where they would have done the jambs which leads me to believe this was the original color.  It was a 4spd car, no A/C and the 31 spline rear had been replaced with a pegleg 28 spline which I later changed over. I built a 427 side oiler block with a 428 crank, making a 453 ci stroker. I used stock CJ exhaust manifolds and it had a sigle 4bbl on top of a PI aluminum intake and it had a 428CJ flapper air cleaner. This car also had a 4spd top loader big in/out and a 31 spline 4:11 gear N case. Some odd items where the magstars, but they were the mercury mauraders and behind the trim rings were screws into the beads of the 10.5 McCreary Street Slicks which kept leaking air....go figure. It had 1969 Mach 1 comfortweave high backs with the red stripe and I installed a tilt column with a leather wrapped grant steering wheel.  The power steering ram was there but no pump so it was a bear to turn if not moving. The car had no stripes on top or on the sides as it had just been painted a year previously. It didn't have any bumpers.  It had the rear lower valance with the stainless trim rings for the exhaust tip cut outs.   Another distinguishing mark would be the Hurst Super Shifter 3 that I had to cut into the trans hump to make room for. I sold the car to a guy from CA somewhere not too far away from where I lived who claimed to be a collector and he came to my home at 9513 Casanes ave., Downey, CA to pick it up. It had the rear flat tires and they he would have trailered it.

I know this is a real long shot but if anybody knows anything about this car or if that guy who purchased it recognizes the info please contact me, I really would like to know what came of my High School dream.

These are the only pictures I have of it.

Thanks in advance for any help, Jim
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 02:15:09 PM by BlueOval »

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: **REWARD** for info on my old 1967 Shelby GT500 in CA
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 05:46:41 PM »
In the late 1980's, I think that the company was called Kaufmann Engineering, they did stuff with Fox body Mustangs. That company was located on Benedict Ave, almost at the intersection of Woodruff and Imperial, in Downey.
Found them with Google, same address. Now known as Kaufmann Products.
http://www.losangelescountybusinesses.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=profile&id=142787
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline BlueOval

Re: **REWARD** for info on my old 1967 Shelby GT500 in CA
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 08:16:40 PM »
In the late 1980's, I think that the company was called Kaufmann Engineering, they did stuff with Fox body Mustangs. That company was located on Benedict Ave, almost at the intersection of Woodruff and Imperial, in Downey.
Found them with Google, same address. Now known as Kaufmann Products.
http://www.losangelescountybusinesses.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=profile&id=142787

Yes, that's correct.  When I was working for Chris, he called it Advanced Engineering West.  I left in 1982 as I was turning 18 to go back to school.  I'm still in contact with Chris and in our discussions he has mentioned that he may have a copy of the old registration card when it was in his possession but after looking for a couple years now, nothing has come to fruition.  Chris also claimed that he didn't own the car and that he believed that it was owned by another LAPD officer who was "dirty", named William Leasure who is still in jail to this day up in Ione, CA.  I wrote William but his recollection didn't really match closely to my car and he stated that he didn't know Chris.  I plan on corresponding with him again but just wanted to put the word out to see if anyone in SoCal recognizes the car or the story.  I really want to find this car.