Author Topic: date code questions  (Read 4750 times)

Offline zray

date code questions
« on: March 06, 2015, 11:24:57 PM »
can anyone decipher these codes ? They are on a '65 Dearborn K code with data tag date of June 24, 1965. The DSO is Detroit, so anythjing is possible as far as panel replacement is concerned.

Driver side shock tower

fender

rocker box/ driver side

rocker box/ passenger side

Z
Looking for '65-'68 manual V-8 coupe
that doesn't need a new body

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
Re: date code questions
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 11:49:00 PM »
Generally speaking, the sheet metal stampings are in the "M DD PS" format where M=Month, DD=Day, P=Plant, S=Shift.  However, there can be variations.  Check out this link...

http://mustangtek.com/FordDateDecoding.html
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 05:16:11 PM »
Generally speaking, the sheet metal stampings are in the "M DD PS" format where M=Month, DD=Day, P=Plant, S=Shift.  However, there can be variations. 

+1  Often the variations are tied to a specific stamping plant, year or even shorter time period. Some do not represent a date code even though they follow the format

Reading a stamping is often difficult to impossible possibly due to the design of the backing plate which can leave a somewhat  generic relief which has the characteristics of a number of numbers (example in your first picture at the top)

ray - easy to see that the date of the door tag is off by a little bit at least - as we've often would expect

We've got an article in the process about date coding many of the parts that make up our Shelby's and Mustangs. About 96% done just have to put the finishing touches on it and stop adding new stuff   ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline zray

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 07:48:31 PM »
That's exactly what had me baffled.  Some of the numbers appeared to be date codes , but didn't  match up to any possible  date code key that I've seen. Thanks for the explanation .

So it's not uncommon for the date on the data plate to be off ?

What are signs that point to a data plate being Orignal,or not ? 

Z.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 09:21:44 PM by zray »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 10:34:43 PM »
So it's not uncommon for the date on the data plate to be off ?

IMHO it would be uncommon for the projected build date stamped on the door tag to be the exact date the car was finished if we used the 67-73 examples we have since we can figure exactly when those cars were completed, according to Ford records

What are signs that point to a data plate being Orignal,or not ? 

Depends on who made the reproduction and how long ago.

Sometimes its the printing, fonts or  spacing of the letters and numbers
Jeff Speegle

Offline zray

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 12:31:41 AM »

Depends on who made the reproduction and how long ago.

Sometimes its the printing, fonts or  spacing of the letters and numbers

So far I've determined this car was restored by Dr. Jekell & Mr. Hyde. Some things were done with care & due dilligence, Other areas  will have to be done over due to sloppyness or ineptitude .

Z.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 12:34:35 AM by zray »

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 10:54:26 AM »
This is the tag and rivets for my car.  It is a Marti Auto Works reproduction from about 2000.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline zray

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 01:34:28 PM »
Not sure any conclusion can be made from this difference, but the first thing I see is the placement of the stamped  data.  On mine it is centered top to bottom in the box. On yours the letters and numerals are lower in the box.

Z

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 02:26:04 PM »
This is the tag and rivets for my car.  It is a Marti Auto Works reproduction from about 2000.  Brian

The curlicue on the middle bar of the large "Ford" script is much more distinct on zray's tag. In general, his "Ford" has sharper detail. Doesn't prove it's original, just that it's different from yours.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 03:54:05 PM »
So far I've determined this car was restored by Dr. Jekell & Mr. Hyde. Some things were done with care & due dilligence, Other areas  will have to be done over due to sloppyness or ineptitude .

What I noticed from the picture immediately was the small thin line around the edge of the door tag that appears in your picture. Will check through my collection since that thin line hasn't shown up in any of the pictures I have of the door tags from that plant and time. Not to say that in itself this moment would lean me one way or another. Just a feature to investigate ;)

So many repo's and versions over the years. Do like the crispiness of the stampings in your door tag compared to some reproductions

Here are a few examples from that time period and plant for comparison - That grey tag period :)

Can you pick out the reproduction?  Why too easy out of these

IF we continue this discussion I'll split the subject/thread. Just so it will not be a big surprise :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 04:00:50 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 05:06:37 PM »
What I noticed from the picture immediately was the small thin line around the edge of the door tag that appears in your picture. Will check through my collection since that thin line hasn't shown up in any of the pictures I have of the door tags from that plant and time. Not to say that in itself this moment would lean me one way or another. Just a feature to investigate ;)

So many repo's and versions over the years. Do like the crispiness of the stampings in your door tag compared to some reproductions

Here are a few examples from that time period and plant for comparison - That grey tag period :)

Can you pick out the reproduction?  Why too easy out of these

Note the differences in the large Ford logo. In photos 2, 4 and 5, the curlicue on the middle bar of the "F" is large, compared to photo 3. And on the same three, note how the top bar of the "F" is lower and extends nearly to the stem of the "d". #3 matches zray's.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline zray

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 01:45:07 AM »
thanks for posting all the photos.

to err on the safe side I'm calling my data tag a reproduction until someone with more experience says it isn't. 

For the last 20 years i've just owned '66 Shelby's, & None of Shelby's cars left his facility those years with a  data tag on the door, so I don't have  much recent experience with the tags.

Like I said, this car is an interesting mix of fine work on one hand, and almost deliberate sloppiness on the other. So nothing will surprise me.

Z.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 07:00:57 PM »
thanks for posting all the photos.

to err on the safe side I'm calling my data tag a reproduction until someone with more experience says it isn't. 

For the last 20 years i've just owned '66 Shelby's, & None of Shelby's cars left his facility those years with a  data tag on the door, so I don't have  much recent experience with the tags.

Like I said, this car is an interesting mix of fine work on one hand, and almost deliberate sloppiness on the other. So nothing will surprise me.

Z.
You should know better then to use absolutes when it comes to Shelby's :D  .Yes some did get door tags left on in 65,66,and 67 but they are very rare mistakes.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 08:41:43 PM »
............Yes some did get door tags left on in 65,66,and 67 but they are very rare mistakes.

+1

Could post pictures - but then again owners wouldn't really be happy about posting their Ford VIN's ;)

Also #4 from the top of my posted pictures is the repo. Stamping is not defined as well as the originals and the reproducer added something to the printing - likely to  stay off of Fords copywrite lawyers at the time   ::)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 08:46:21 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline zray

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 09:47:36 PM »
You should know better then to use absolutes when it comes to Shelby's :D  .Yes some did get door tags left on in 65,66,and 67 but they are very rare mistakes.

Ha ha .  So true.  When it comes to understanding ANY type of history,  the words "never" & "always" should seldom be used (notice, I didn't say never be used),

Z