Author Topic: fold down seat molding detail question  (Read 4525 times)

Offline martin

fold down seat molding detail question
« on: April 19, 2015, 12:18:35 PM »
The striker that holds the trap door latch will be mounted on the chrome molding.

The chrome molding has therefore a lowered section. The panel on which this molding will go has no lowered section.

- Is this Original ?
I have a reproduction molding and when i put it on the carpet the mounting holes for the screws won't line up.
I have already cut a opening in the carpet at the place of the striker so the molding lays on the panel.

-Is this a typical reproduction problem ?
I don't have the original to compare with.
69 mach 1 390 toploader
built at San Jose Oct-25-1968

Offline Brian Conway

Re: fold down seat molding detail question
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 01:41:17 PM »
This doesn't get talked about much so my understanding is;  the OE rear panel did not come with the chrome trim from the assembly line.  The reason for the delete I can only guess.  When I got my car the trim was missing so, thinking I should have one,  found one and installed it.  The existing mounting holes were there, in the panel edge, and matched the trim perfectly.  Mine was an OE ebay item and I may have gotten the latch plate with it or from an after market vendor.   Brian 
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline willy001

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 01:55:40 PM »
The 69's did not come with that piece of trim. The carpet was folded over and stapled through the panel with big metal staples.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 02:21:18 PM by willy001 »
1969 GT Sportsroof
390 S code
4 speed
AC, PS, PB
San Jose 10/24/68

Offline martin

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 02:57:19 PM »
Great now i have to buy a new carpet. :(.

It is still a little strange it doesn´t fit.
Probably a reproduction problem, because the one Brian bought did fit.

Thanks for the reply´s
69 mach 1 390 toploader

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 03:26:49 PM »
The striker that holds the trap door latch will be mounted on the chrome molding.

The chrome molding has therefore a lowered section. The panel on which this molding will go has no lowered section.

- Is this Original ?
I have a reproduction molding and when i put it on the carpet the mounting holes for the screws won't line up.
I have already cut a opening in the carpet at the place of the striker so the molding lays on the panel.

-Is this a typical reproduction problem ?
I don't have the original to compare with.
What items are original? What are and where did you get non-original items?
The 69 Body Assembly Manual "implies" no indent in the fixed panel, possibly the carpet was trimmed around the depression in the trim to fit the striker. Another "quirk", Ford Car Parts show the 1966 panel, C6ZZ-63115A42-A, as the service replacement (aka. they were all the same from 66 to 70). That does not mean that there was a 1969 only panel, or there were staples used in lieu of the rear trim.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 05:13:36 PM »
+1 - Does not use the rear molding as mentioned by the others a detail that changed with 68 production on fold down fastbacks. Earlier non- fold downs didn't use it either but that is another subject

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline martin

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 05:23:52 PM »
The panel is original. The moulding is repro.
Thanks for confirming it is original without the moulding. Still strange it does not fit and that the set is for mustang from 68 till70. As i understand it should not be used for mustang from 68 till 70. Or maybe it is used on non fold down seats.
69 mach 1 390 toploader

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 05:26:12 PM »
Thanks for confirming it is original without the moulding. Still strange it does not fit and that the set is for mustang from 68 till70. As i understand it should not be used for mustang from 68 till 70. Or maybe it is used on non fold down seats.

Nope - just a incorrectly listed/labeled reproduction part - go figure :(
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 06:22:13 PM »
+1 - Does not use the rear molding as mentioned by the others a detail that changed with 68 production on fold down fastbacks. Earlier non- fold downs didn't use it either but that is another subject

All plants, and 68-70 (71-73 different design?)? Some of us update our production notes.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 06:35:32 PM »
All plants, and 68-70 (71-73 different design?)?

That rear panel on fold down cars is shaped differently on 71-73 it appears. it does have a rear trim piece that looks to be shaped differently

As far as the change - since I'm going off of pictures and car its not unusual for non-fold down cars to have fold down panels added or replaced with ones from other years after all these years.

From these observations it does not (at this point) appear to be a running change during the year not a plant specific thing but this is my first time visiting this specific detail/change As of right now I have unrestored 68 cars without the rear edge trim showing up from all three plants as early as (NJ 8T120xxx, Dearborn 8F110xxx, San Jose 8R106xxx)
Jeff Speegle