Author Topic: headliner recomendations  (Read 2894 times)

Offline kcodecoupe

headliner recomendations
« on: April 25, 2015, 01:55:04 PM »
looking for recomendations for reproduction 1970 sports roof black headliner and sail panels  , thanks

Offline rayms69

Re: headliner recomendations
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 12:55:28 AM »
i found a sweet set of perfectly reproducted sails panels from a guy on ebay. i will look on ebay for a link, as good as original imo. I dont see him. I paid like $150 or so for the pair, much more than the TMI stuff. I will probably do a TMI headliner. Who knows?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 01:00:21 AM by rayms69 »
10-26-1969 Dearborn 428 SCJ auto

Offline tobkob

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 10:13:35 PM »
Lucky Guy, I recently bought a pair of sail panels from NPD. They are not even close to black...more a dark charcoal color. Scott Drake is their supplier but a couple of other companies make them. Well, long story short I had to buy headliner material from Scott Drake to cover them. The material should arrive next week so I won't know until then if it will match the black headliner in the car. NPD tried to make it right with a new headliner but the panels are not wide enough to cover the sail panels. Hopefully it will turn out ok even though I hate having to redo new parts. That's why I use all old parts that I can. Just venting...
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline rayms69

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 01:10:19 AM »
I will try to find the receipt for my panels, He was an older gentleman, very nice. All the extra material is there, they matched up perfectly with my oem takeoffs.  will look this week for it.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 04:11:06 PM »
Haven't found any acceptable sail panels out of the box. Would use Acme headliner for the headliner on a regular restored car.  Think they are still doing them after all these years
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 04:57:21 AM »
How good was the original color match compared to what is availible now?

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 11:42:37 PM »
I bought a few feet off a big roll at an upholstery shop called the Seat Cover Center
Closed down years ago, but I have the number of one of the workers who bought up all the remaining stock of everything, and works out of his basement
The Mustang headliner material goes by the name Moon Skin
I'll have to give him a call to see what he has
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline Dirk Pitt

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 12:38:50 PM »
I did exactly the same thing.  The sail panels from NPD are actually good quality but the color is wrong.  You have to remove the material on the sail panels from NPD and recover with the correct color to match your headliner (I used a heat gun and the material was very easy to remove).  Also, save the rings in your original sail panels for the sail panel lights and reuse them if you have them.  The ones that come with the NPD sail panels are too thick and your original sail panel lights will not snap in correctly.

Lucky Guy, I recently bought a pair of sail panels from NPD. They are not even close to black...more a dark charcoal color. Scott Drake is their supplier but a couple of other companies make them. Well, long story short I had to buy headliner material from Scott Drake to cover them. The material should arrive next week so I won't know until then if it will match the black headliner in the car. NPD tried to make it right with a new headliner but the panels are not wide enough to cover the sail panels. Hopefully it will turn out ok even though I hate having to redo new parts. That's why I use all old parts that I can. Just venting...
1969 Mustang SCJ (W-code), Dearborn Built 4/21/1969
1969 Mustang CJ, Dearborn Built 7/16/69

Offline rayms69

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 04:17:41 PM »
Check out this guy, http://www.ebay.com/usr/shelbycarz?_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2754 , I have purchased a few things from him. I sent a message to him about the sail panels, if he is still doing them. $85 + shipping is what i paid and was totally worth it.

Offline emptys

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 12:48:51 PM »
Looks like http://www.ebay.com/usr/shelbycarz isn't  a registered user on ebay any longer,
any other way to get hold of him to ask about sail panels?
69 428 GT -- 9F02R -- build date 10/11/68

Offline rayms69

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 03:27:35 PM »
I talked to him and he doesn't have any more materials to do the sail panels anymore, shame because they are Damn near exact to my original pair, sorry