Author Topic: Help Identify Bolts  (Read 8155 times)

Offline lancelot66

Re: Help Identify Bolts
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2016, 07:38:49 PM »
Should have also mentioned that Charles is correct: "R" on the fuel pump bolt heads is what I have as well.
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2016, 09:36:37 PM »
Chris,
Yes, 1/2" head on the rear brace bolt. Sorry about that. Has the ELH head too.

This was mine in the back, different head marking, not sure if it is original or not
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2016, 10:02:27 PM »
I've seen that head marking before. It may have been on some AMK bolts, maybe fuel pump bolts or it could have been license plate screws. Cannot be certain and I have no idea about originality or when used if they aren't. Have an older AMK catalog, 2005, that has a page in front with various logos (the ELH is there), but that marking is not present. Hopefully, someone else can weigh in with more knowledge.
VR/
-Lance

Many Original Options

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2016, 10:57:52 PM »
There are numerous references on Corvette & other Chevy sites referring to the "F" logo as belonging to Falcon Forge. I haven't been able to find any proof of that. And no, I don't hang out on off-brand forums  :o

I've seen them in various places on Mustangs and Torinos. Most recently is a set from my 390GT donor engine. All four oil filter adapter bolts are the "flying F" logo. From examining the washer indentations on the adapter, there is only one set of marks visible, which leaves me fairly certain the adapter had never been off the engine until I removed it. Engine was built December 67.

Has anyone started a list of markings commonly found on Mustang fasteners? It would be a monumental task to match them up with typical locations, I don't know if that could ever be accomplished. But a list of general timeframe might be helpful.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2016, 12:13:48 AM »
This was mine in the back, different head marking, not sure if it is original or not

That style marking is usually found on the distributor hold-down clamp bolt.  Seems like I remember one other place I've found them, maybe the bigger front/rear oil pan bolts on a small-block V8?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2016, 11:38:07 PM »
Has anyone started a list of markings commonly found on Mustang fasteners?
It would be a monumental task to match them up with typical locations, I don't know if that could ever be accomplished. But a list of general timeframe might be helpful.

You'ld have to factor in (document) assembly plant and time period also.

Projects like this always start with one person and allot of time ;) Of course with such a project you would need to travel or have input from everywhere since most people can't get this sort of access to cars and parts from all the plants and at least examples from every month of production.

But no I don't know anyone that has tried to do a complete guide. A few have done limited studies As always we tend to focus on one details and ignore or don't focus on another even though they are related many times.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2016, 02:54:38 PM »
There are numerous references on Corvette & other Chevy sites referring to the "F" logo as belonging to Falcon Forge. I haven't been able to find any proof of that. And no, I don't hang out on off-brand forums  :o

I've seen them in various places on Mustangs and Torinos. Most recently is a set from my 390GT donor engine. All four oil filter adapter bolts are the "flying F" logo. From examining the washer indentations on the adapter, there is only one set of marks visible, which leaves me fairly certain the adapter had never been off the engine until I removed it. Engine was built December 67.

Has anyone started a list of markings commonly found on Mustang fasteners? It would be a monumental task to match them up with typical locations, I don't know if that could ever be accomplished. But a list of general timeframe might be helpful.
Some more input while we are on the subject but that style "F" flying F or cursive F is also  seen very often on SB distributor hold downs 65-67 SJ ,not so sure how consistant after that .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2016, 09:22:20 PM »
Yep, you're right on the money Bob. Just confirmed my distributor hold-down bolt is the "Flying F" inside a circle. You're good! At least I can confirm where I've seen it before...
VR/
-Lance

Many Original Options

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2016, 11:33:48 PM »
Found this in a DOD listing of fastener markings. The "F" logo was (is?) used by Ferndale Fastener, which is/was a division of Ring Screw Works.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.