Author Topic: New Member With a New (Old) Car  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Toejamm

New Member With a New (Old) Car
« on: May 27, 2010, 11:07:34 AM »
Greetings everyone,

What a great site.  I stumbled across this forum a couple of days ago and it will be a tremendous asset to me with my new car.

Last night I purchased a 1970 Grabber Blue Mach 1, with a 351C 2V and a Hurst 4-speed.  Other options are black hood stripe, F70x14 belted tires w/raised white letters, power steering, and AM 8-track stereo radio.  It was built at Dearborn on March 27, 1970. 

Now for the best part - It has 35,000 original miles, original un-restored (paint, interior, engine comp., trunk) and looks like a 2 or 3 year old car.  I have known about the car for about the past 20 years and it has it's original window sticker and build sheet, warranty card, etc. 

As far as I can tell, the only things non-original on the car are:

70's era bias-ply RWL tires

The alternator was replaced by the prior owner with a concours correct unit - I have the original

The prior owner replaced the original single exhaust with an aftermarket dual exhaust

Motorcraft battery

I have a few questions and would be grateful for the help.

I live in Pittsburgh and I would like to have the car judged.  Am I correct in assuming the best class would be Unrestored, and it would have to be a national show like Virginia Beach in August?

I want to put the original type tires back on the car.  I believe the original spare is in the trunk and it looks like it has never been on the ground.  the spare has just Goodyear and Polyglas in raised white letters.  Is it possible to have this tire with my build date?

Should I have the original alternator just rebuilt, or rebuilt and restored?

What should I do about the exhaust?

Is a Group 24 battery correct for my car and is a reproduction my best option?

And lastly, are there any judges in my area who would be willing to look my car over?  I would be willing to pay them for their time.

Thanks,
Fran
Present Mustangs:
1967 Branded Edition Mustang Coupe
1967 Indy Pacesetter Coupe
1997 Woodward Dream Cruise Edition GT Conv.
2008 Bullitt  Pre-Production 1PP01 - Media Car - First Bullitt Made

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: New Member With a New (Old) Car
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 11:40:49 AM »
Welcome to the site and congrats on your purchase. 

Based on your description, it sounds like you have a car that would be best suited to be shown at an MCA national level in the Unrestored class.  With that in mind, you should be thinking "preservation" and not "restoration", which are completely different in this case.  The answers to your question then become obvious, especially something like an original alternator.  It just needs to be rebuilt, but should be done with care as to not disturb the original appearance.

Regarding tires, I would recommend you search for NOS or good used originals.  They might be expensive.  Same goes for the exhaust.

One slight advantage you have over someone with a restored car is that the parts you install don't necessarily have to be perfect condition.  Ideally, you want parts that appear to be slightly used so they don't look out of place on an original car.

I would recommend entering the car at the VA Beach show.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Toejamm

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 11:06:27 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I just want to be sure before I buy a set of incorrect, expensive, NOS tires - Is it possible my spare is original, RWL Goodyear Polyglas, no GT, no size?  Also, can anyone point me in the right direction for the single exhaust? 

Thanks,
Fran
Present Mustangs:

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 11:14:46 PM »
I'm not very knowledgeable about 1970 Mustangs but I was happy to read your story. I'm glad you are keeping it original and preserving the car  :)

I would think a reproduction single exhaust for your application would be the way to go, aluminum coated steel system. A regular steel system will rust in a flash but that might be what some people want for correctness.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 11:37:50 PM »
Your original documentation should indicate the tire type.  A Marti report should also help determine what they were when the car was new (www.martiauto.com)

Regarding exhaust, I would have to disagree with John as it sounds like you have a car that is highly original.  An original system would only compliment the originality of the rest of the car.  Aluminized exhaust was used back then.  Usually on resonators and mufflers.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Toejamm

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 04:52:44 PM »
Thanks for all the help.  I am going to Carlisle this weekend and I am going to keep my eyes open for a set of nos tires.  I would like to try to determine the correct tires for my Mach and would like to get it right the first time.

Correct me if I am wrong but, my understanding is that there are three different Goodyear Polyglas raised white letter tires:

The sidewalls read-

Goodyear Polyglas

Goodyear Polyglas GT

Goodyear Polyglas GT F70-14

Other facts to consider -

The Mach was built at Dearborn on March 27th, 1970

The spare has only Goodyear Polyglas in RWL

The Marti report only says, "F70x14 Belted Tires w/Raised White Letters"

Without an original picture from 1970 to go by, what tires would you put on the car?

Thanks,
Fran
Present Mustangs: