Author Topic: While we're on the subject of brakes.. HELP!  (Read 3515 times)

1967 eight barrel

While we're on the subject of brakes.. HELP!
« on: February 06, 2016, 05:01:08 AM »
I am installing my hard lines in the vehicle and have forgotten where the line clip and retainer attaches to the lower firewall for the hard line that runs from the back of the vehicle forward to the distribution block. Quite a few possibilities in that area for the 3/8 bolt to secure the retainer at the firewall.  It's a Dec '66 San Jose 428 car with power disc brakes if that narrows it down a bit.

Again, thank you for the assistance and pictures. 8)
                                                                                       -Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: While we're on the subject of brakes.. HELP!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 03:40:11 PM »
This help? From a car in the #7R110000's but routing and details are the same at least up through the #7R150000's so it would cover your cars time period at San Jose

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 03:46:59 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 03:43:57 PM »
Once again, hats off to you. You and Bob have been a great source of help for a vehicle that has been apart since the early 90's.

-Dan

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 03:58:32 PM »
Okay, now another question. I have the AMK installation kit for the lines, which also incorporates the fuel line kit as well.
They provide four bright zinc 3/8 head screws and two in oil and phosphate. It's obvious the kit covers more than one application: Likely drum and disc applications. Are bright zinc bolts correct for the firewall lines?

-Keith

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 04:06:38 PM »
Jeff, nice bonus pic of the big block A/T accelerator pivot!

Also seen in the photo: the grey rubber screw protector. I grabbed one off of a '67 SJ junkyard car this summer. Were those used into '68 in SJ? Same question for the black plastic strap.

(apologies if this is too off-topic - please split if it is)
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 04:07:54 PM »
Okay, now another question. I have the AMK installation kit for the lines, which also incorporates the fuel line kit as well.
They provide four bright zinc 3/8 head screws and two in oil and phosphate. It's obvious the kit covers more than one application: Likely drum and disc applications. Are bright zinc bolts correct for the firewall lines?

-Keith
Most of the above is answered in the 67 Mustang Assembly Manuals, which, as I have done in the past, recommend that you should get a set for your year's car. To answer your specific question, I would need to know what AMK kit was used and what are the dimensions of the hardware in question.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 04:28:35 PM »
I have a set of them. Did you note that the majority of illustrations are missing from the '67 book? Look at page 16 of the 1967 Mustang Chassis Assembly Manual. It's not particularly helpful, hence my query here. I own the entire set of Osborne manuals for 1967. The speedometer cable was another issue the manual made it very difficult to resolve.

-Keith
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 05:10:59 AM by 1967 eight barrel »

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 04:30:43 PM »

Also seen in the photo: the grey rubber screw protector. I grabbed one off of a '67 SJ junkyard car this summer. Were those used into '68 in SJ? Same question for the black plastic strap.

(apologies if this is too off-topic - please split if it is)

Dave, also look at the at the bottom of the accelerator pedal, it has the clip. That is for a car with a four speed transmission. It supports the speedometer cable. Strange an automatic vehicle has a clip only used in that location for a four speed vehicle.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 05:34:37 PM by 1967 eight barrel »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 05:47:18 PM »

As for the accelerator pivot - figured as long as I was posting just one example might as well try and get as many as possible of the details to match the posters car ;) Didn't hit them all since I only had a couple of minutes before I ran out the door this morning

In many applications there are two of the grey taillight stud style caps used. Think there is at least one prior thread discussing those details.  Yes these were used into 68 at least as San Jose. I'll need to check on the plastic strap location and will start a new thread with some "new" pictures ;)

Jeff Speegle

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 06:00:00 PM »
Dave, also look at the at the bottom of the accelerator pedal, it has the clip. That is for a car with a four speed transmission. It supports the speedometer cable. Strange an automatic vehicle has a clip only used in that location for a four speed vehicle.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that usage. Almost looks like the lower brake line could have been in that clip - is that a possibility? Or maybe SJ routed the A/T speedo cable there?
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 07:10:30 PM »

-Keith
I think it is more common for those firewall screws to be phosphate .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 05:17:10 AM »
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that usage. Almost looks like the lower brake line could have been in that clip - is that a possibility? Or maybe SJ routed the A/T speedo cable there?

I had to locate NOS clips for my Shelby for the speedo cable. This was for the four speed only. The AT and 3 spd speedo cable runs on the left side of the vehicle. The four speed on the right side.
I thought it strange that I can clearly see the automatic speedometer cable and emergency brake cable attached to the left frame rail, yet this vehicle has the four speed manual only clip on the bottom bolt of the accelerator bell crank.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 12:20:46 PM »
I had to locate NOS clips for my Shelby for the speedo cable. This was for the four speed only. The AT and 3 spd speedo cable runs on the left side of the vehicle. The four speed on the right side.
I thought it strange that I can clearly see the automatic speedometer cable and emergency brake cable attached to the left frame rail, yet this vehicle has the four speed manual only clip on the bottom bolt of the accelerator bell crank.

OK, I see that now. The original engine, trans and pivot were not in my vehicle when I acquired it, so I wasn't aware how things were routed. I'll make some notes so I don't forget this  :)  A couple of possibilities that come to mind are: 1) Did SJ install the clip on all vehicles? Seems unlikely. 2) An error was made on this particular vehicle.

Jeff, do you think the discussion of the clip should be a separate topic?
Dave Z.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 05:46:38 PM »
I think it is more common for those firewall screws to be phosphate .

+1
Jeff Speegle

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 09:04:01 PM »
Thanks, Jeff and Bob. I looked at the assembly guide and there is S8 finish ( Bright Zinc) and S2 ( Phosphate and oil).
Look at page 16 in the Chassis assembly manual.

Dave- I was up against this issue too because of the years the vehicle had been disassembled. No cell phones with cameras when I started this project.. Wait, no civilian use of cell/satellite phones period then...lol
Anyway, they are a great tool for these kinds of projects now.