Author Topic: Window Retainer Bracket Question  (Read 4066 times)

Offline Rainier42

Window Retainer Bracket Question
« on: February 28, 2016, 12:44:08 PM »
On a 69/70 door there are 2 bolts and a bracket that holds the upper rear window stop in place. This is actually seen on the inside of the door shell in the painted area near the edge of the door panel. My question is should the bolts and bracket be painted or left natural?  This is on a Dearborn 1970 B2.

Offline 7Lscjracer

Re: Window Retainer Bracket Question
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 01:17:17 PM »
My 69 has never had the inside of the doors repainted.
The two bolts have a cadmium looking finish, might be silver zinc that's dulled off though
The rectangular bracket with the rounded ends has a chassis black looking finish.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 05:20:28 PM »
Looking at only 70 Dearborn cars (other years and plants differ) I found the following. Most years and plants were typically had painted plates

Bolts are zinc plated

As for the plates it seems to be a toss up for that plant and year. Haven't been able to find a pattern for the painted verses non-painted. Of course there are allot of cars out there that have been repainted at some point so ignoring those in a quick visual survey

Here are some painted examples

Here are some unpainted examples

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Rainier42

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 05:50:04 PM »
On the passenger side of mine, the plate and bolts were not painted/natural.  On the driver side, the bolts and plate were painted when the car was resprayed.  When I took this paint off, the plate was black.  Could it be that one side would have been black from the factory and the other left natural?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 06:03:41 PM »
On the passenger side of mine, the plate and bolts were not painted/natural.  On the driver side, the bolts and plate were painted when the car was resprayed.  When I took this paint off, the plate was black.  Could it be that one side would have been black from the factory and the other left natural?

I guess that your car was black?   The reason for the "would have been black from the factory" comment

Normally these were put on the cowl or another place on the body so that they were painted when the body was shot and in turn the painter painted these with the body (common other years) for some reason (unknown at this time) where ever they placed these on the body did get coated with the exterior (would explain why some are and some are not IMHO) These are normally placed side by side so it would be difficult with such a larger spray to miss one while coating the other. Guess someone could claim that the worker lost one and they replaced it with an unpainted one but it would be just that a guess IMHO not a fact supported by anything at this point and a stretch

Since you have one unpainted and one that was coated during a repaint I would go with the evidence you  have and do both as the unpainted bare (not black)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Rainier42

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 07:48:41 PM »
I guess that your car was black?   The reason for the "would have been black from the factory" comment

Normally these were put on the cowl or another place on the body so that they were painted when the body was shot and in turn the painter painted these with the body (common other years) for some reason (unknown at this time) where ever they placed these on the body did get coated with the exterior (would explain why some are and some are not IMHO) These are normally placed side by side so it would be difficult with such a larger spray to miss one while coating the other. Guess someone could claim that the worker lost one and they replaced it with an unpainted one but it would be just that a guess IMHO not a fact supported by anything at this point and a stretch

Since you have one unpainted and one that was coated during a repaint I would go with the evidence you  have and do both as the unpainted bare (not black)

All interesting.  Car was never black, is Grabber Blue.  Black was underneath a respray.  First person responding to this thread also reporting a black bracket.  Wonder if it is a replacement part for whatever reason.

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 08:19:32 PM »
Nope, not a replacement part, but it's an early San Jose car and they did some things differently.
My car is black jade, but the plate is not that color, it's definetly black, but the bottoms of the doors are also sprayed black even though they're covered with Mach 1 door panels.
I have a Marti report, my car's legit.
I didn't think this plate would be a plant specific issue, but now I do.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 08:25:55 PM by 7Lscjracer »

Offline Rainier42

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 08:24:25 PM »
Nope, not a replacement part, but it's an early San Jose car and they did some things differently.
My car is black jade, but the plate is not that color, it's definetly black, but the bottoms of the doors are also sprayed black even though they're covered with Mach 1 door panels.
I have a Marti report, my car's legit.

Are both brackets black or just one?  On mine, one was definitely black and the other was natural steel finish.  Am thinking this is how I am going to put them back on.  Mine is a Dearborn 1970 B2.

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 08:35:16 PM »
Yes both of those plates are black on my car.
I would follow Jeff's advice and go with both natural brackets to avoid a point of contention at shows.
You could poll the boss exchange to see what the situation is with others around you build date too.

Offline Dirk Pitt

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 08:36:40 PM »
I have hundreds of photos of Perkins 52 original mile Mach I (Dearborn).  On that car one of the plates is black and one is about 95% covered with body color paint.  You can see a small amount of black showing through on one side.

So, body color or black should be fine.  If body color - don't overdo it. They were painted as Jeff indicates and this was not an area of the car that got significant attention from a quality of paint perspective.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 08:40:04 PM by dirkpitt007 »
1969 Mustang SCJ (W-code), Dearborn Built 4/21/1969
1969 Mustang CJ, Dearborn Built 7/16/69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 09:30:48 PM »
I have hundreds of photos of Perkins 52 original mile Mach I (Dearborn).  .....

Isn't that a pretty late 69 model??   If so different year ;)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 09:36:48 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 09:35:17 PM »
Yes both of those plates are black on my car.
I would follow Jeff's advice and go with both natural brackets to avoid a point of contention at shows.
You could poll the boss exchange to see what the situation is with others around you build date too.

Black is the base color on the plates used at San Jose in 69  - Almost all of San Jose Mustangs had their plates painted. But that year and plant is a whole different matter/subject.

If you had provided the VIN or time period we could have focused more on a specific period rather than looking at the whole year. Not a Boss detail so all Mustangs built there can contribute and be considered
Jeff Speegle

Offline Dirk Pitt

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 07:23:33 AM »
Yes Jeff, different model year but the poster didn't say when the car came off the line so they could be reasonably close in dates or very far apart. :-X

Isn't that a pretty late 69 model??   If so different year ;)
1969 Mustang SCJ (W-code), Dearborn Built 4/21/1969
1969 Mustang CJ, Dearborn Built 7/16/69

Offline Rainier42

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 08:08:01 AM »
Black is the base color on the plates used at San Jose in 69  - Almost all of San Jose Mustangs had their plates painted. But that year and plant is a whole different matter/subject.

If you had provided the VIN or time period we could have focused more on a specific period rather than looking at the whole year. Not a Boss detail so all Mustangs built there can contribute and be considered

My B2 is a Dearborn 7/70 build.  Mixed response on the B2 forum ... most are saying to leave unpainted.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 05:49:12 PM »
My B2 is a Dearborn 7/70 build.  Mixed response on the B2 forum ... most are saying to leave unpainted.

Yes have watch both threads IMHO allot of recall and some pictures were of cars that had been repainted.

Since we now have a date for the build we can at least focus on other cars built at the same time and plant.

You have a very late cars and a 70 so not as many examples as we have for other years
The two late cars I have with fairly clear pictures includes the last picture in the group I posted above - both bare steel/silver no painted would IMHO be the best guess based on what we have

Jeff Speegle