Author Topic: 289 w/5J date code  (Read 3025 times)

Offline Turnall

289 w/5J date code
« on: March 20, 2016, 01:33:52 PM »
Posted this on VMF and found a block and heads close (date wise) to what I'm looking for, but the engine is too far away.

Like the subject line says, looking for 289 w/5J date code (preferable an "A" code), but 5H or 5K could be used...

Thanks,

Allen

Offline Turnall

Re: 289 w/5J date code
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 01:43:11 PM »
btt^

Offline sgl66

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 06:27:44 PM »
Are you looking for a 5J casting date or assembly date?

FWIW, C, A and K blocks are all the same
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline Turnall

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 08:44:26 PM »
Assembly date was K28 (buck tag).  I have found a 5K4, but it was too far.  Since I figured out that I can have the block (bare) sent UPS and the freight on my account will not be so bad...I think the 5K4 date would be in line with the car, do you?

Offline sgl66

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 09:25:46 PM »
There are 3 dates at play:

1. Block cast date
2. Engine assembly date (assembled in Cleveland)
3. Car assembly date - Metuchen if you have a buck tag

So in your case, car was bucked October 28, you can probably get by with an October 4 "engine assembly" date. If you're talking about a block cast date of 5K4,  my opinion is that would be too late. For reference, my block was cast the first week in August (H), assembled in September (J) and car bucked October 13 just a little over 9 weeks from block casting to built car in Metuchen.

Keep in mind that's one example out of thousands

Offline Turnall

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 09:47:06 PM »
Thanks for that information!  Your's is a "K" code?  Would that possibly extend the time needed to assemble the engine?  I ask because, yes, the block date is 5K4.  Trying to find out now the assembly date on the front right of the engine.

Allen

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 12:40:21 AM »
You really should not use a "K" engine for this date calculation, they sat for a while because there was not a high demand. Mine was cast on August 11, 65 before 66 production began, assembled on August 23, 65 at the Cleveland plant, shipped to San Jose (about 7 to 10 days by rail) where it sat until the scheduled assembly date of October 18, 65, a total of 68 days, 9 1/2 weeks. I would guess that an "A" or "C" code engine would be a week from cast to assembly, a day to assemble and move to the train, a week to ship (Ohio to New Jersey) and a couple of days getting moved around at the final assembly plant, say 16 days. Mustangs were hot and Ford was in the sell, sell, sell mode.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Turnall

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 08:08:36 AM »
Jim, thanks.  It's early (1st cup of coffee) so maybe I'm not interpreting your post correctly.  You say not to use the "K" (Oct) dated engine for a K28 (Oct 28) final assembly car, but then it reads to me that you are saying an "A" code engine (which mine is) would be ~16 days from cast to final assembly (final assembly of the engine or the car?).  If you mean final assembly of the car and since Ford was in the "sell, sell, sell mode", wouldn't this fall in line with the build date of the car? (K4 - Oct 4th through K28 - Oct 28th being a total of 24 days)

Again thanks, just trying to clarify in my have asleep mind...

Edit:  As I re-read you post, I think you are making a case for the Oct 4th block, and saying not to use a "K" code engine as an example, (because of less demand)...

Allen

« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 08:15:51 AM by Turnall »

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 12:10:23 PM »
Edit:  As I re-read you post, I think you are making a case for the Oct 4th block, and saying not to use a "K" code engine as an example, (because of less demand)...
Yup.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline sgl66

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 09:44:04 PM »
Good point about completed K motors maybe sitting in the shelf longer than A or C motors. As far as I know all blocks were cast the same, mine waited 4+ weeks to be assembled, Jim's 2 weeks. It will be good to hear what the engine assembly date is on the 5K4 block you're looking at. I may have another lead for you and will PM you if it fits your dates

Offline Turnall

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 10:17:58 PM »
Funny you ask.  The guy had told me it was a 5k4 block and the heads were 5h5 and 5h11.  So I assumed the heads were not original.  I ask him what the assembly date was on the block and it is 5h12b.  I ask him about the 5k4 block date and 5h12 assembly date and haven't heard back yet.  I think it was very simply an honest mistake of seeing 5k4 as opposed to 5h4 on the block.  He did say that he was pretty sure the heads were original to the engine, so I think the engine (block and) assembly are a bit too early to be dated for my vehicle...

I would be interested in the lead, thanks.

Allen
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 10:21:50 PM by Turnall »

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 12:06:48 PM »
Hi Allen

I read reread and even looked on VMF to see the issues/distance etc etc !!    Can't offer motor - but maybe INFO !!

SHIPPING engines isn't as expensive - NOR do you have to disassemble to say UPS !!    Google  enginesdirectfreight or shipping engines.   Have used this service and got one from TX to MI for under $150.00.   Much depends on shipper ability to pallet, load OR DROP OFF AT TERMINAL to save money!

The other thing is "consider this community" as we all travel (for example I am leaving from MI to PA this week).   We can all daisy change delivery together OR "deliver to Columbus/Carlisle" etc etc. 

The last thing I would suggest is patience!    It doesn't look like getting an 65 is too hard from all the options you have had so far.  I think ONCE you get the date down then you can find the best motor.   From a guy that has bought his share of USED motors - the word BEST isn't best price/closest to most complete IMO !  Used stuff is used stuff.   My guess is you know that everything will need machining and sometimes isn't usable!    I'd opt for a std block IF buying long distance - better chance of being usable OR try and SEE and mic anything first.   MOST sellers aren't builders - they pull motors to put something else in.   

Mark
P.S.  If the pan is off I assume the caps are not from that motor and deduct $400 on the spot -as I know that is what it will cost to insure they are right!
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline Turnall

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 04:40:08 PM »
svo2scj, all great info and thanks!!  I will say, I'm not in any hurry.  Just got this vehicle a couple of months ago and I have a bunch to do before "worrying" with the engine (the one in it runs fine).  Just trying to get the word out and checking options (as I do want a date correct engine).  Options, like what you have given me...thanks again!

Allen

Offline Turnall

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 09:31:49 PM »
Well, the ebayer informed me that he sold the 5J block he had...back to the drawing board...

Allen

Offline kcodecoupe

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 10:28:42 AM »
i have a complete C code 289 long block, casting date 5K26 assy date is 5K27 , located in wetern NY.