Author Topic: March 66 San Jose Seam Sealer Questions  (Read 906 times)

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
March 66 San Jose Seam Sealer Questions
« on: February 09, 2021, 09:50:35 PM »
Working on our early March ?66 San Jose GT convertible and have a couple questions regarding the seam sealers now that we have the primer on it.

1. On the bottom where the rocker pinch welds meet up to the floor pans, what color seam sealer is expected?

2.  What product is recommended for all the interior floor seams and crevices? I?m referring to the black stuff that is a couple inches thick in some areas. Looks like the DAP Extreme Stretch elastomeric sealant might be an option, but curious what others have had success with.

Thanks,
Bobby
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 08:53:27 PM by J_Speegle »
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com/

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Seam Sealer Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 10:14:32 PM »
Working on our early March ?66 San Jose GT convertible and have a couple questions regarding the seam sealers now that we have the primer on it.

1. On the bottom where the rocker pinch welds meet up to the floor pans, what color seam sealer is expected?

2.  What product is recommended for all the interior floor seams and crevices? I?m referring to the black stuff that is a couple inches thick in some areas. Looks like the DAP Extreme Stretch elastomeric sealant might be an option, but curious what others have had success with.

Thanks,
Bobby
That sealer was put on after the body was painted. The black fibrous constancy is very similar to roofing cement . Many use the version that comes in a caulk gun tube and after applying a bead take a narrow 2 inch throw away brush to spread it out for a factory look. The product typically dried hard to the touch just like roofing cement does after a few months . The factory product did not have a rubbery feel like the silicone products available . I use Henry roofing cement in a tube for instance. There are no doubt many similar products that can be used.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 10:25:09 PM »
Thanks for the quick response Bob. They have this at the local Home Depot, if it is what you are referring to. Does it have much of a lasting odor?

Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 10:58:31 PM »
Thanks for the quick response Bob. They have this at the local Home Depot, if it is what you are referring to. Does it have much of a lasting odor?
I have never noticed it and probably wouldn't given the location it is applied to.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 11:05:40 PM »
Great, I remember using some sort of nasty asphalt sealant on my roof years ago and you could smell it from the ground for several days.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 05:17:15 PM »

Black smooth (no grit) sealer applied with a gun then spread to about 1" wide leaving a ridged final look. This is covered with a few pictures in the Undercarriage Detail guide for 66 San Jose cars posted in the library and in a number of prior threads. Believe these are two pictures in the article mentioned above

Guess your not including the trunk with the interior

There are two different products and methods of application depending on when the car was built at San Jose that production year so first thanks for providing a date to focus on. Body type also comes into play since there are different joints and panels that make up the interior

Unfortunately I don't have as many original convertible examples from this time period but will work with what we have

For the floor to the A pillar and firewall section. Smooth no grit sealant applied  with an applicator then smoothed with a rag or brush dipped in solvent

Seat riser. No sealant along the front and rear seams. Inside seam to driveline tunnel was a spray sealant approx 3" - 5" depending on the distance of the sprayer to panels. Over and around the ends vertically. Your car, by VIN, is likely part of the change over from wiped on to sprayed on. The spray would have been used on firewall to floor, main floor to rear floor (up over rearend housing area)  and seat riser to floor seams alike typically based on the pictures I have

Likely have more pictures but that should communicate the look

Hope this helps 

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 06:10:12 PM »
Thanks Jeff, I have read through your guide several times, yet missed where it plainly says black sealant inside the pinch welds. Reading comprehension has never been my strong suit...

Also, the photos here and in the guide are a huge help. Interestingly, this car had lots of sealant along the front and rear edges of the seat riser, all applied before any paint or primer. It was more than 2? thick in some places below the quarter windows.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: March 66 San Jose Seam Sealer Questions
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 07:00:37 PM »
Also, the photos here and in the guide are a huge help. Interestingly, this car had lots of sealant along the front and rear edges of the seat riser, all applied before any paint or primer. It was more than 2? thick in some places below the quarter windows.

Let me take sometime to see if I have any convertible seat riser pictures from a 66 San Jose to check if that is the typically reason for the difference if if what you found was typical

Maybe someone else has some interior shots of a 66 convertible with the interior all removed

« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 08:53:36 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)