Author Topic: Firewall Pad Restoration  (Read 2120 times)

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
Firewall Pad Restoration
« on: July 21, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
My original pad was trash and I found an acceptable original pad. The front, rubberized surface is very good, nice contours, with just a few small tears. The batting / insulation is another story. I was thinking of skinning this and replacing the batting but not sure with what or if this will even work. Anyone ever try this or have any other suggestions.

Thanks,
Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Firewall Pad Restoration
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 02:12:30 PM »
If it's trashed, I would recommend finding a good used one.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 02:52:23 PM »
Charles-
    My original was trashed, the replacement that I found is "good" except the batting is ratty. I didn't know if there was a way to replace the batting on an original pad. Or are you still suggesting I find a better pad with better batting / insulation period.

Thanks-
Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 03:38:43 PM »
Charles-
    My original was trashed, the replacement that I found is "good" except the batting is ratty. I didn't know if there was a way to replace the batting on an original pad. Or are you still suggesting I find a better pad with better batting / insulation period.

I'd still recommend a good used pad.  You don't want to go through the trouble of doing a full restoration and short such an important detail... which is a major job to replace properly later down the road.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 03:40:28 PM »
Cannot answer wheither replacing the batting is practical or not, but...  as it pertains to the inside textured black surface that shows....
Charles told me about a wheelwell coating called Fusor 805, by Lord company.  After putting it inside my trunk for sound deadener and inside my wheelhouses,  I concluded that it is a DEAD RINGER for the inside surface of the firewall pad.  When dry, it is about as soft as a sneaker sole, and the color is perfect.  With just a little experimenting on how to recreate that pebble texture, and it will be a good solution on restoring these things so they look and feel like new.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 08:34:37 PM »
For others viewing this tread please remember that the pads (and texture) differ depending on where the car was assembled and when ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)