Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Suspension

Brake drag/slow pedal return

<< < (2/2)

preaction:
Dan, I went through this same issue with my 67 cougar and it turns out at least on the east coast that the brake pads available at NAPA for me is a generic organic compound pad. I just this month looked at this again  as a problem I wanted to be finished with and found the only step up in brake pads was a semi metallic from Hawk for $150 and with a proper bedding my brakes will now lock up.

68NordicCat:
I may try new pads but it really feels mechanical. I was on a shakedown after trying to resolve a power steering fluid leak and tested the brakes again - at 25-30 mph applied firm, sudden pressure like an emergency stop. The brakes start to engage and then just release with little to no stopping power. Under normal driving conditions, i.e. no aggressive breaking, things seem fine and the car stops easily. Wouldn't know there was a problem until you try to lock it up. I've bled the system several times and am running silicon fluid at the suggestion of a friend (hardcore Cougar guy that says he's never had problems and runs it in both his 68 and 69). Could a proportioning valve problem cause conditions like this? Would really like to drive the car but can't justify it until this problem is solved.

preaction:
I too am using silicone fluid and my system has been good for 15 years. I did talk to booster Dewey about this problem and his point was to look at the booster if your running silicone fluid, if it leaks into the booster it will cause swelling.

69SCJQ4.30:
Not sure if you ever resolved your issue but that sounds like the problem my dad has had with organic pads and that is all most auto stores sell now. Like preaction said try to find some kind of semi metallic pads, but hawk I think may be some of the last you can find.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version