Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Misc Items

Accelerator-Firewall Seal

(1/3) > >>

Skyway65:
One more detail as I continue to make progress with my '65 convertible.  The seal where my accelerator linkage passes through the firewall has the "big end" sticking into the car, under the dash, not protruding out into the engine compartment.  I noticed, Charles, on your K conv that the seal is installed in the opposite direction of what mine was originally.  Is this a Dearborn/SJ difference, a 6 cyl/V8 difference or simply a "whatever guy was sticking those on the car" deal?  ;D

CharlesTurner:
All installed the same way, no matter if it was a 6 or 8 cyl.  Sounds like you have yours backwards.

Skyway65:
Possibly, except that's the way it came originally.  The undercoating is on the smooth side and the bumped out side was under the dash, nice and clean.  So do I reinstall it the way it was when it was new, or do I install it the way it was supposed to be when it was new?!  ???

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: Skyway65 on August 07, 2010, 09:04:49 AM ---............ Is this a Dearborn/SJ difference, a 6 cyl/V8 difference or simply a "whatever guy was sticking those on the car" deal?  ;D

--- End quote ---

Nope - its one of those things where there was a way that they were engineered to go- only seen "outees"

In restoring we often make the choice to correct mistakes to get the car as it was suppose to be built, especially when the detail is pretty small and, over all, not very important. But with good solid documentation you can always make your case and become the owner with the backwards - whatever.

CharlesTurner:
For whatever it's worth, I checked through my pics of 5F07U100211 and it had the grommet with the big end in the engine bay ('outee' as Jeff refers to.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version