1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1966 Mustang

1966 rear bumper alignment/installation

<< < (2/5) > >>

midlife:
From a purely mechanical viewpoint, picture #1 is correct.

evantugby:
I made some adjustments after studying Page 70-71 of Motorbooks Workshop Mustang 1964 1/2 - 1973 Restoration Guide and this is what I believe to be correct. 

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: evantugby on April 07, 2018, 11:53:23 PM ---I made some adjustments after studying Page 70-71 of Motorbooks Workshop Mustang 1964 1/2 - 1973 Restoration Guide and this is what I believe to be correct.

--- End quote ---

Never found shims used on the rear bumper (anywhere) on originals so IMHO neither is "correct"

Hiding them in between the bumper and bracket would likely  be the least noticed if someone were to look. Guess if you had enough sealant they could be hidden if done as your last picture (reply #6) was done

evantugby:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on April 08, 2018, 02:21:49 AM ---Never found shims used on the rear bumper (anywhere) on originals so IMHO neither is "correct"

Hiding them in between the bumper and bracket would likely  be the least noticed if someone were to look. Guess if you had enough sealant they could be hidden if done as your last picture (reply #6) was done

--- End quote ---

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the comment.  I ordered a concours-correct rear bolt kit (link below) and it came with shims.  Someone on another forum mentioned that shims are used "as needed" to get the alignment right on the rear bumper.  Once I install the bumper I may remove the shims.  Thanks

https://www.npdlink.com/store/?p=catalog&mode=newsearch&search_str=17A750-1AK&parent=1&year=1966

edwardgt350:
which of the above pix duplicates the assembly manual?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version