1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1964 1/2 - 1965

Voltage Regulator Star Washers

<< < (2/4) > >>

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: caspian65 on January 05, 2018, 04:23:32 PM ---There are 3 ground points for 65-66 engine bay harnesses where tooth washers are used... 1 at the voltage regulator, one at the firewall ground and one at the rad support in the corner by the battery.  The original washers had a wide tooth pattern, which are somewhat difficult to find. 

--- End quote ---

Just to show the style of washer Charles is describing

J_Speegle:
Found a few unrestored cars with the arrangement described above. Did find a number of unrestored cars without any washer - maybe there is an explaination

5F07A2706xx Between the voltage regulator and the ground wire

5F08C7275xx  Between the voltage regulator and the ground wire  like 5F07A2706xx

jwc66k:
Keep in mind that the screw holding the regulator to the radiator support was a common grounding point for the LH headlight, LH parking light, the alternator and LH fog lamp (if equipped). The screw on the right side to the radiator support was a common grounding point for the RH headlamp, RH parking lamp and RH fog lamp (if equipped).
Jim

ChrisV289:
Jim,

You mentioned the different number of teeth on the washer. Do you or perhaps Jeff know when the transition was? Or what was used at San Jose

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: ChrisV289 on January 06, 2018, 12:38:48 AM ---Jim,
You mentioned the different number of teeth on the washer. Do you or perhaps Jeff know when the transition was? Or what was used at San Jose

--- End quote ---

Sorry got side tracked a little with starting with the Dearborn examples but knew I had some nice examples in that group. Now to specifically your need.

Since I know when your car was built found this example of the car that I've used a number of times to help answer your questions built about the same time as yours.

Hard to see it in the grainy picture (blown up from a more distance one) and because much of the washer is hidden behind the eyelet but you can make out one of the spokes of the squared end star washer - red arrow.

Hope this helps and I got it right this time  ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version