Author Topic: 67 power steering pump hose clamp  (Read 3488 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 power steering pump hose clamp
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2022, 01:36:42 AM »
If I were to guess I suspect they removed the line at the pump and ran a new one to the cooler and from the cooler to the split apart return line. It appears SA used diagonal cutters rather than the normal tool since all of the crimps have a peak, rather than being flat.
Here is a pic of my original return line showing the join at the mid portion of the return.

I have an original to 1967 full size Ford pump which netted me a proper dip stick. It has an April 67 tag and back strap support still attached. The return line was cut by the PO when I bought it and has a crimped clamp as done by Ford.

I suspect if SA did as I mention above, this crimped clamp on a Shelby would also be of the peaked style.
In regards to 67 Shelby's there was no removing of lines or clamps because Ford installed the line and cooler on the Ford assemblyline and not at SA. Consequently since the clamps were crimped by Ford then any deviation from a flat top on the clamp was by mistake or not having the right tool by the Ford line worker.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2022, 11:50:26 AM »
Ok, I'm confused by reply 8 then.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2022, 01:31:53 PM »
Ok, I'm confused by reply 8 then.
You revived a thread that is over 6 years old. More up to date information is available now. I will go back and adjust the information in the old post to reflect current info so others reading may not be confused.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Kyle Zammit

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2022, 02:49:10 PM »
The correct Assembly Line (4) crimp clamps for the P/S cooler lines are all marked 775 [C]| please?

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2022, 06:45:52 PM »
You revived a thread that is over 6 years old. More up to date information is available now. I will go back and adjust the information in the old post to reflect current info so others reading may not be confused.

It's always a difficult choice whether I should add onto even an old thread or create yet another one. I wasn't trying to put you on the spot as I thought it might be a better understanding of the topic. I wanted to say something like that in my response but I was on a tablet and I hate typing on a virtual keyboard.
I'll line out part of my response too.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline preaction

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2022, 08:37:14 PM »
Its not just you Bill it can be a challenge at times looking through many  threads doing reasearch to find something specific and not always starting a new thread.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2022, 09:12:13 PM »
Its not just you Bill it can be a challenge at times looking through many  threads doing reasearch to find something specific and not always starting a new thread.

Unfortunately your correct. The easiest is for someone just to start a new thread with a question, then others often do the"leg work" and find a matching thread for them, the new post then gets moved to the last page along with the answer of an older thread making for, often, a long read.

The other options is often starting a Members Build Thread thread where its all about you and your car :) but for others finding details and information to apply to their car often gets lost in very long threads.

At least with this media its there for ever or until someone deletes or their storage service goes down (if they don't store the pictures on this site or post. It's just the challenge of finding what your looking for. Much like the whole internet Too much info or not knowing what to believe or no answers.   

Sorry got off thread. Now back to PS hose clamps  8)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tgilliam

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2023, 04:22:22 PM »
From J Speegle on November 28, 2022: "Sorry got off thread. Now back to PS hose clamps"
I do not see any additional information discussion about the correct hose clamps for the return line on 1967 Mustangs/Shelbys from the San Jose Plant.
I am currently putting my 1967 Shelby GT 500 (4/12/1967 SJ build date) back together and working on the power steering components. I am reviving this thread once again to try and understand the correct hardware specifically for the P/S return hose - clamp on the back of pump and clamp where return hose joins another hose assembly at the support bracket under the car.
Bossbill provided pictures of examples he has, one from a March Shelby and one from a big Ford P/S pump. The clamps shown are the solid band tool crimped style. A lot of the other comments talk about other different types of clamps but I am not seeing a description for the predominant/most common hardware seen for these locations, specifically for a 67 Shelby in my case.
Sorry if I am missing something in reading the Posts but would like to have some clarification. Thanks for your help.

Tom Gilliam
tom@jtgil.com

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2023, 07:56:33 PM »
From J Speegle on November 28, 2022: "Sorry got off thread. Now back to PS hose clamps"
I do not see any additional information discussion about the correct hose clamps for the return line on 1967 Mustangs/Shelbys from the San Jose Plant.
I am currently putting my 1967 Shelby GT 500 (4/12/1967 SJ build date) back together and working on the power steering components. I am reviving this thread once again to try and understand the correct hardware specifically for the P/S return hose - clamp on the back of pump and clamp where return hose joins another hose assembly at the support bracket under the car.
Bossbill provided pictures of examples he has, one from a March Shelby and one from a big Ford P/S pump. The clamps shown are the solid band tool crimped style. A lot of the other comments talk about other different types of clamps but I am not seeing a description for the predominant/most common hardware seen for these locations, specifically for a 67 Shelby in my case.
Sorry if I am missing something in reading the Posts but would like to have some clarification. Thanks for your help.

Tom Gilliam
tom@jtgil.com
Your 67 Shelby will use the solid type crimp clamps at all PS connection points from the factory. The assembly line clamp originally was marked with a 725 and sometimes a 775 . The clamps also had a makers mark that looks like a trapezoid with a small C inside. The main thing is to have a proper sized solid clamp in all positions. The correct markings is only required in thoroughbred . Trailered concours expects the correct part but the marking is not required. Many of the replacement clamps are unmarked and with that said if it has a mark other then what I mentioned then make the alternative mark disappear. It would be hard to read and although a marking is not required in Trailered concours a wrong marking technically could be a source for a possible deduction. 

Offline tgilliam

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2023, 10:28:05 PM »
Bob, Thanks for the additional information. That clears up a couple of different questions I was running up against.

Tom Gilliam
tom@jtgil.com