Author Topic: 67 Rear Spring Markings Discussion  (Read 9106 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 Rear Spring Markings Discussion
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2018, 06:01:19 PM »
No disrespect to Jeff, but of the 50+ 1967 Mustang build sheets I've seen, the C9, "HD Suspension" field

Kevin double checked my post (reply #39) and the C9 was simply a typo on my part and I've gone back and corrected that in that response

Sorry for any confusion

Though I've looked at over a dozen comp suspension cars none of them had with them a buildsheet. So as of right now can't answer how those were marked either
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2019, 06:01:00 PM »
Been a while, but I was in a position to paint my rear leaf and went back to the best picture I have of my (Shelby) competition suspension rear leaf in order verify color.

I had to sand a little bit to get through the first layer of paint and I find a brighter color than first noted. It is definitely orange, albeit a bit more on the yellow side of things.
Pic attached.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2019, 08:51:01 PM »
Been a while, but I was in a position to paint my rear leaf and went back to the best picture I have of my (Shelby) competition suspension rear leaf in order verify color.

I had to sand a little bit to get through the first layer of paint and I find a brighter color than first noted. It is definitely orange, albeit a bit more on the yellow side of things.
Pic attached.

Thanks for sharing - For others viewing the picture above is from a March 2 67 built Shelby with C7ZA-AR rear springs dated 040 E
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 08:16:07 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline cascade-classics

• Cascade Classics
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2019, 12:44:58 PM »
Here is a picture of the bottom leaf out of the 67 Shelby GT350 we are working on.  One picture wet, the other dry after being derusted.  Definitely look orange when wet.  Build date 05/02/67.
John Benoit
Cascade Classics
Classic Mustang and Cougar Restoration
www.cascadeclassics.com

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2021, 01:14:52 PM »
I was trying hard to get to Brown (like the Paperback Writer's sheet says) but I think Orange is a better fit for what I found.

I did get from SAAC the SVO Parts Spec sheet for my block of Shelbys (280 of them) (schedule date of 2/6) and find that:
"Items to be deleted" is C7ZA-AA Spring and Bushing Assy - Rear
"Items to install" is C7ZA-AR Spring and Bushing Assy - Rear

On another front, Richard (67gtasanjose) wanted to know the spring code on my son's GTA fastback and here is some data on it from the 999 report:
7R02A149xxx
Date: 12/6/66
GT (incl heavy duty suspension)
XP automatic
Power Steering
Exterior decor
Styled wheels
No A/C

The spring code on the GTA  (it took over 2 dozen pics at various angles to find the code) is "AE". There is no way I could find a color on this extremely weathered spring.

I looked and didn't find the -AA mentioned in the list. It is in my SVO add/delete list as being deleted for Shelby use.
While looking through a swap meet table I actually found a set but what is the application?
Bill

Offline greggs7

« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2022, 07:52:02 PM »
I know it?s been a while, but was this subject resolved in this forum or another forum? I have a 1967 Mustang export car that has the D marked under the Handling package column and nothing marked for the HD column on the build sheet. It is a GT so am I to assume that it is simply referencing the GT special handling package only or did it have the competition handling package? Let me know. Thanks.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2022, 09:42:05 PM »
I know it?s been a while, but was this subject resolved in this forum or another forum? I have a 1967 Mustang export car that has the D marked under the Handling package column and nothing marked for the HD column on the build sheet. It is a GT so am I to assume that it is simply referencing the GT special handling package only or did it have the competition handling package? Let me know. Thanks.

Sounds like, based on your report, that your car is marked as other non-export GT's were marked on their buildsheet

What are the  spring and shock letters?  That would help confirm also IMHO

Do you happen to know where your car was suppose to be shipped to and the DSO?  To help others
Jeff Speegle

Offline Asedan

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2023, 12:56:00 PM »
Hi Guys,
My Google search led me here.  Very hard to find much out there on leaf spring stampings.  I have a pair that came off of a 1970 H-code Mach I and was surprised to see a C7 part number.  This car had a rough life passing through several drag racers so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to find something unusual.  I haven't been able to reference the stamped numbers anywhere:
C7ZAAT
252  88
I counted and I could swear they are five-leaf issues.  There are also faint yellow painted numbers on the topside right next to the eyes.  They were four digits, followed by a space or hyphen and two more numbers.  They were dim and I didn't want to rub them off, so maybe homework for me to decipher or photograph if important. Thanks for any help you can offer.
dave

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2023, 01:41:55 PM »
The spring codes are listed in the post 1 attachment.
It appears you have an AT spring listed for a 67 390 GT
Bill

Offline Asedan

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2023, 01:50:25 PM »
Thanks Bill.  I looked at that sheet and missed it somehow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2023, 06:31:54 PM »
Hi Guys,
My Google search led me here.  Very hard to find much out there on leaf spring stampings.  I have a pair that came off of a 1970 H-code Mach I and was surprised to see a C7 part number.  This car had a rough life passing through several drag racers so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to find something unusual.  I haven't been able to reference the stamped numbers anywhere:
C7ZAAT
252  88
I counted and I could swear they are five-leaf issues.  There are also faint yellow painted numbers on the topside right next to the eyes.  They were four digits, followed by a space or hyphen and two more numbers.  They were dim and I didn't want to rub them off, so maybe homework for me to decipher or photograph if important. Thanks for any help you can offer.
dave

If your springs show evidence of a stenciled yellow part number that identifies them as replacements. Comparing your cars real build date and the date on the springs will likely confirm that

If so they are likely not the original markings (stamped engineering number on the short leaf) but simply what Ford carried at the time when they were replaced. Applications and all the variations were minimized to help reduce needed inventory over time. For best reference we would need to look at a 70 or early 71 MPC to see what may have been the original rear springs for your application. And of course, if available to unrestored examples equipped the same as your car.

I invite you to start a new thread in the 70 sections if you want to dive into a look as to what your springs would have been originally. Or we can split your post and the responses or just let it die at this point here :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2023, 10:20:19 AM »
I was going to ask for a pic of both the small leaf stamping number and the yellow one, but I was on my tablet and virtual keyboards suck.
Bill

Offline Asedan

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2023, 07:19:55 PM »
Yes Jeff, let me go back to the shed to photograph the markings and make sure of an accurate leaf count.  I will take your advice and start a new 70 thread.
We met a number of years ago when you were examining a half-and-half 67 or 68 notch.  I think it was at COTA when the HTA bunch came.
Thanks for the wisdom,
dave

Offline Asedan

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2023, 04:12:25 PM »
One more update before I try to post with photos.  These are 5 leaf springs with yellow stenciled 42-435 on top of the big spring.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2023, 04:37:08 PM »
One more update before I try to post with photos.  These are 5 leaf springs with yellow stenciled 42-435 on top of the big spring.
As described is not a aseemblyline spring for your Mustang .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby