Author Topic: HiPo Engine Markings  (Read 2089 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: HiPo Engine Markings
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 04:51:02 PM »
Is “OK” or “HP” in question?

HP and orange paint would make sense on the block to tell whoever down the line that is putting on heads, carb, exhaust manifolds etc that a K crank, caps, rods and cam are installed.

Guess if we wanted to be exacting and specific and travel down the rabbit hole do we have any examples of the HP & orange daub at the rear of the block on any original K codes assembled after Dec 1965?

One can "make sense", assume or extrapolate but that doesn't prove that a practice was carried out with certainty.  Just a thought since the question came up
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bartman

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 12:05:22 AM »
Hello. I took and posted the photo of the “HP” and the orange daub of paint over on the HPM site.  I had 2 such HIPO motors, 1 that was original to my K code and this one Jeff used from a spare hipo motor I had. Both had these same markings. And both also had orange paint on crank counterweights, main caps and on the flywheel.
Very cool finds indeed.
Bartman

Offline Bartman

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 08:30:33 AM »
Engines were 4H and 4M builds.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 05:57:52 PM »
Engines were 4H and 4M builds.

Thanks for originally posting the pictures and the follow up info
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bartman

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 09:38:14 AM »
Here’s a photo of the other hipo I have that is the matching number engine. I rebuilt it and it’s in my car. You can faintly see HP in the same location as my other one but the orange paint is applied differently. The 2 motors are casted 4 months apart, both in 64.
Bartman