Author Topic: Desert cooler  (Read 3541 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: desert cooler?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2021, 06:15:47 PM »
Hi,

On my cars for sale research, I found an add for a 66 GT Fastback:
https://www.geevers.nl/en/inventory/ford-mustang-fastback-gt-1808?m=3&t=&y=&c=&s=&cl=&sort=

I am wondering about the radiator. Is this a factory / dealer installed desert cooler? I would like to know more about desert cooler, any infos?

Thanks, Michael

Would need more pictures of the markings on the radiator to tell. Real period correct dealer installed and assembly line desert coolers I've seen and have pictures of are pretty much or the same from what I've seen. Question is if this is an aftermarket or original. Top tank shape and side straps look similar to the others. Atlanta is IMHO an odd place for such an option
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
Re: Desert cooler
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2021, 06:52:51 PM »
images of my confirmed and correct Desert Cooler radiator. this came from a San Jose 66 GT coupe that was equipped with auto trans, air con and power steering and smog. car was sold new in Flagstaff Arizona.

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2021, 09:21:35 PM »
Phil that matches (top and side markings) the NOS and installed ones I have pictures of. In the ad can't make out either of the markings
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2021, 02:31:20 PM »
The part number that Phill included, C6ZE-(8005)-F, on the radiator is as close to confirming the existence of the illusive "Desert Cooler" as any other. But that's where it stops. I tracked the "-F" and here's what I found.
Pic 1. The 60-68 Ford Car Parts (aka MPC) has no reference to a -F. That MPC version does not have the cross reference that the 75 edition has.
Pic 2. (A MS Word document with copied portions from an Adobe .pdf file) From the 75 edition of the MPC, shows a "C6ZE-8005-F" and its replacement, C3DZ-8005-K, but that leads back to the standard V8 replacement.
It exists, but was not supported for service.
Jim
On a whim, I checked the "Accessories" section of the 60-68 MPC but found no reference to any radiator. The same in the "Performance" section (but I did find that Ford sold "Lakes Pipes").
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 02:40:13 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2021, 03:06:15 PM »
Guess we would need to see one from the year of production to see if its listed there rather than determining that it wasn't a service piece. Do have pictures of a NOS radiator and supporting pieces that Bob P had for sale a few years back. If it was boxed individually with a part number in regular packaging that IMHO is a good indication that it was an over the counter, dealer installed upgrade and service piece.

Would not be the first part we've held in our hands that wasn't found in a MPC. Mistakes and oversights did take place though uncommon

Jeff Speegle