Author Topic: Wire harness loom.  (Read 3769 times)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Wire harness loom.
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2018, 11:54:26 AM »
Narragansett Wiring and Rhode Island Wiring are separate companies, but I believe are owned by family members. 
The cost for rebraiding the tail light harness seems extraordinarily good!

As far as the braiding colors on the originals, I speculate that with different vendors producing the harnesses, the braiding colors may be different.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 12:06:42 PM »
I am by far an expert on the braiding color, but I will say in the more protected areas of my 69/70's, above the wheel well, behind the passenger panels, it has been very dark, if not black in color. Black items are not always 100% black. They are dyed/colored with other dark colors, such as blue. They make it very, very dark so it looks black. Over time the color, ink, dye fades and its not as dark as it was orginally. I am sure Jeff, Bob and others will correct me if I am wrong, and going by Jeff's photos, the braides were originally suposed to be black in color.

I recently saw another post were the person was asking where to get the replacement white braiding for his rear wiring. Just an extreme case of the braiding material holding up after all these years but the color being totally bleached/washed out leaving the fibers white.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline specialed

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2018, 02:12:13 PM »
Isnt the braiding cloth colors different depending on which direction the braiding was done when woven as they cross & tie together each coming from different colored rolls  kinda like a tracer ?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 03:08:07 PM »
I am sure that this is the original harness.  The car has sat a long long time and has 45,000 miles.
This for sure green/white much more so in person.  I am new to the concours world so I just wanna go down the right road.
Jeff,  would you deduct points from my car with a green / white braid?
If so how would I prove this is original?  Should I go with a different color braid?

If your convinced that yours was originally wrapped with those colors save some, preserve it and present the subject, your research and the sample  when you have the car judged, introducing it was we've discussed in other threads prior to judges and just as a sort of  "this is what I found and this is why I did such and such"  and leave it to the judges for their determination.  If this is important to you choose your path and take the deduction of having the car judged is the more important guide for your restoration

Jeff s. in u first photo blue 70 (when & where was that car built) as it has 69 type plastic wire holders not 70 rubber coated J-straps & green round push-on clips like i see on 70s?............

No Ed that was/is from a late 69 with the 70 style rear markers. Thought I might mislead someone if they looked at more than the subject at had but it was a fairly clear picture to show the wrapping/loom material and I choose to include it

Isnt the braiding cloth colors different depending on which direction the braiding was done when woven as they cross & tie together each coming from different colored rolls  kinda like a tracer ?

Not sure of the purpose of the colors or variations if so. The color would not be different IMHO depending on the direction since each strand is exposed for the same distance either way. Pattern would vary if a different number of each colored strand was used but we don't have evidence of that yet. My first thought was that like rubber hoses the variations might identify the different suppliers or sub contractors but then I was reminded that the labels were there for that purpose.

Wish I had my Boss handy since it might provide a clearer look at one example given its low mileage.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 03:12:52 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2018, 03:13:00 PM »
Rode Island has done numerous tail light harnesses for me over the years.  They do excellent work.  I always leave a few inch's of the wrap that is in the best condition in the box with the harness so they can determine exactly what was used.  With shipping back to me it has always been the same price, $109.00
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline ruger

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2018, 07:14:59 PM »
Thanks,  I did just that.  I put some in the box and kept some for myself.   
1969 Sportsroof Mustang E'
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2018, 04:28:38 PM »
I had Rhode Island braid my harnesses.  They did an outstanding job. 
Almost all the reviews of Rhode Island Wire I've seen have been positive. I would like to see them expand their harness product lines to include Mustangs.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ruger

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2018, 04:30:45 PM »
Thanks dirkpitt007
I am sure not one to argue the fact of the braid being faded as this is the first harness braid I ever really cared about to study.  I do have the feeling that Rhode Island Wire will set it straight.  In my note to them I left a piece of the braid for them to look at and will go entirely with what they suggest.  As I am sure that if it isn't green (I am convinced it is by the sunlight I seen it in) I most likely will take a deduction in points as I don't think that a judge will believe it either.  So,  what would be the advantage of green / white ?  Rhode Island may not have a green/white braid anyways. 
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2018, 06:17:49 PM »
Thanks dirkpitt007
I am sure not one to argue the fact of the braid being faded as this is the first harness braid I ever really cared about to study.  I do have the feeling that Rhode Island Wire will set it straight.  In my note to them I left a piece of the braid for them to look at and will go entirely with what they suggest.  As I am sure that if it isn't green (I am convinced it is by the sunlight I seen it in) I most likely will take a deduction in points as I don't think that a judge will believe it either.  So,  what would be the advantage of green / white ?  Rhode Island may not have a green/white braid anyways.

ruger, you are absolutely accurate the wrap is not black but a greenish gray in color. I have mint examples for 68-71 that have never seen sunlight, some in Autolite box's never used. The black wrap is the most common point deduction in the Thoroughbred class. The black looks like dog poo compared to oem!

Offline ruger

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2018, 09:52:33 PM »
Thank You Perkins.   I was sure it was green but I am not in a position to argue this as I have never really studied a harness.  I am hoping that Rhode Island has the matching green / white braid to put back on.  I have found other oddities on this car as well but cannot get anyone to agree with me. 
Bob,  this is the car Tom Nichols talked to you about for me in Kansas City last year.  69' Mustang E'. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 10:12:37 PM by ruger »
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2018, 02:21:14 AM »
Bob now I have to go dig out and see what they did for me!  I put the sample in and let them go with it!  Dog Poo?  Great!   We'll see ya in a few weeks!
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline ruger

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2018, 01:03:42 PM »
Just got off of the phone with Rhode Island Wiring.  They are braiding the harness in what she called an army green and off white.   Just what I was hoping for.   Two weeks turnaround due to heavy business load. 
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline ruger

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2018, 10:58:23 AM »
Update:   I sent the harness off last Thursday and got it back a week later.  Very fast turnaround.  It appears to be just a little lighter in color than the original but I know what I took out of the car was green and off white so this is very close to my original.  Now I need to get the I.D. tags needed to finish this one off.     With shipping both ways USPS Priority was $100 even.   
Bob Perkins.  Is it possible for you to post a picture of your original harness braid?  Thanks
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 11:02:43 AM by ruger »
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2018, 01:37:45 PM »
Very nice!
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2018, 08:43:09 PM »
Thought I would get to my car today but no luck getting a picture

Here are a few more originals to compare

9F1967xx Picture for me represents what I've typically seen on originals in good condition

9R1419xx Shows it age more than the example above

9F1434xx

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)