Author Topic: Woodgrain Steering Wheel Clicks ?  (Read 512 times)

Offline 6T5 Fastback

Woodgrain Steering Wheel Clicks ?
« on: June 01, 2018, 01:08:16 AM »
My 1965 Fastback came with the Deluxe Pony Interior option. When I bought the car it had a blue steering wheel instead of the woodgrain one ? Was the wood an option? The rest of the interior has the woodgrain inserts and the pony seats. I decide to upgrade to the woodgrain wheel and now the wheel clicks when turning and also does not cancel the signal after turning ?  Any help would be great thanks

Offline drummingrocks

Re: Woodgrain Steering Wheel Clicks ?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 09:26:03 AM »
If it was a factory Pony/deluxe interior car, there will be several giveaways for '65.  All deluxe interior Mustangs and factory GTs in 1965 received the '66-style instrument cluster with 5 gauges instead of the standard Falcon-style speedometer.  On a standard interior car that's been converted to deluxe interior later in life, the instrument cluster swap is usually the hardest part since it involves cutting the dash and using a different underdash wiring harness.  If you're wondering if the car originally came with the upgraded interior, pull the instrument cluster and take a look behind the dash.  There should be a notch in the metal dash to clear the '66-style speedometer.  If that notch is missing or looks like it was cut by hand, then the car started life as a standard interior car.

To answer the original question: if the car was a factory deluxe interior car, it came with the woodgrain steering wheel.

Also, welcome to the site! 
Too much junk, too little time.