Author Topic: package tray for 1970 Mach 1?  (Read 1143 times)

Offline palacekeeper

package tray for 1970 Mach 1?
« on: August 13, 2018, 02:18:36 PM »
I've been working on a 1970 Mach 1 (mainly mechanical issues) but now I'm starting to pay more attention to some of the cosmetics.

I'm currently working on getting the radio back into operation and I'm interested in possibly replacing the package tray and installing some new speakers. As I understand it, the rear speakers were not an option, but they were a dealer installed option that many folks opted for.

If that is correct, I'm figuring on installing some nice 6x9's back there. The package tray in the car now is in decent shape but has a few holes that were drilled at some point, and no insulation underneath. I don't know if it is original or not.

In looking online, there are a bunch of places you can buy them from, but very few look to be concours (or close) and many have to be painted.

Can anyone recommend where I can buy a black package tray for my 1970 Mach 1, along with the correct insulation? Optionally, if it has dimples for cutting out the 6x9 holes, that would be nice too. Having the correct tray is more important though, so I'm okay with cutting the holes if i have to make a choice between concours looking and precut dimples or holes.

Thanks for any recommendations!
1970 Mustang Mach 1, Grabber Blue
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen
Build Date: December 19, 1969
Dealer: 21A461 Whaley-Dailey Ford Sales, Conyers, GA

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: package tray for 1970 Mach 1?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 05:55:17 PM »
Dealer installed rear speakers were not very popular. Under powered and expensive when compared to all the aftermarket speakers available at the time. You would use the substructure as a guide to where the cut outs were.

Originally they were dyed/painted on the visible (top) side to match the interior coloring/pattern. Don't think the waffle pattern insulation is made or available any longer - at least I don't recall ever seeing them except for used. Never recall seeing any "dimples" and never any holes that were prepunched/factory

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 06:42:50 PM »
Thanks Jeff. I found this insulation which claims to be concours correct: https://www.themustangshop.ca/product/17091490/658472

It's hard to tell from the picture but it doesn't look like a waffle pattern to me.

In my case, the tray that is in the car now is not in bad shape, except for a few minor drill holes. Structurally it's fine though and looks pretty good. It has old 6x9's in it now, so I could also consider just keeping it and adding new speakers. I was figuring on replacing it with something new only if it is not the original.

Is there any easy way to tell whether the one that's in there is the original tray?

thanks again.
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 07:25:24 PM »
Thanks Jeff. I found this insulation which claims to be concours correct: https://www.themustangshop.ca/product/17091490/658472

It's hard to tell from the picture but it doesn't look like a waffle pattern to me.

Not the same material, thickness and the replacement is a jute with no real stiffness where the original was like (in strength and handling) like a thin cardboard.
Jeff Speegle

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 07:52:45 PM »
what about the tray itself? any way to tell whether that is the original? thx.
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 08:34:48 PM »
what about the tray itself? any way to tell whether that is the original? thx.

Sort of a Masonite (pressed saw dust) board like the package trays on coupes.
Jeff Speegle

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 12:30:49 PM »
Okay I’ll get out there this weekend and check it out. Thanks very much for the detailed info!
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen