Author Topic: 67 Car Life Engine Pic, Battery shield?  (Read 851 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
67 Car Life Engine Pic, Battery shield?
« on: November 27, 2018, 03:34:09 PM »
I'm sure others have seen this pic.  What's the cardboard or plastic looking cover over the positive terminal area?

My notes say Jan '67 Car Life magazine, p 38
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 67 Car Life Engine Pic, Battery shield?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 03:42:07 PM »
According to the link in the library for battery heat shields, that looks a lot like the late 66, early 67 heat shield.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 04:05:42 PM »
According to the link in the library for battery heat shields, that looks a lot like the late 66, early 67 heat shield.
+1 . It is another thing that is triggered by the air conditioning option on a 390/428 according to the assemblyline manual.It was only used on a 24F in the case of 67/68.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 04:10:34 PM »
Notice the light shaded battery hold down J bolts. Typically they would be PO which would look much darker like the nuts on top. Apparently the very early 67's had the J bolts zinc silver and transitioned to the PO later. I have seen numerous examples of this in vintage photos.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 04:26:19 PM »
Looks like the car in the pic has speed control also...

Possibly a San Jose car, judging by the black shock tower caps?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 04:30:31 PM »

Thanks, I had completely blanked out on that version.  Don't recall ever seeing one on a restored car, kinda cool.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 04:54:16 PM »
Thanks, I had completely blanked out on that version.  Don't recall ever seeing one on a restored car, kinda cool.
Agreed very cool. I have only seen one in the flesh in all my years. I have never heard of one for sale ever but probably someone somewhere.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 05:04:25 PM »
In the original post it appears that its a very early car from the features but a non Thermactor car. There are some other details in the picture but don't want to get off thread :) Likely a car that has been prepped and used considering it made it's way into the media's hands

Same odd ball heat shield as seen on this 67 Fairlane. Appears to be a Thermactor car but other details suggest it's a Dearborn built car. In the picture below.  Never run across this version of battery shield on a car. Likely only used for a very short time. Appears to be molded in the lighter grey plastic rather than the more common darker gray/black we see on the reproductions of the other version

Same picture as shown in one of the other threads

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 05:15:00 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 07:50:13 PM »
I thought I would mention that there is a C7 marked shield that is identical to the dark gray /black shield except it is the light gray the same as this other early style shield with the terminal trim shown in both pictures. Just to be clear that is 3 different separate types I have referenced.  The lighter gray colored shield was fairly common (relatively speaking) on cars in 67 and 68 . Ether shield is acceptable however the lighter gray C7 shield is the preferred shield for 67 and 68 GT500's for example.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 07:55:11 PM by Bob Gaines »