Author Topic: 1967/68 Rocker Panel molding  (Read 994 times)

Offline T5owner

1967/68 Rocker Panel molding
« on: December 08, 2018, 11:30:21 AM »
I think I oredered 2 decades ago NOS rocker panel moldings, but am not sure anymore, I got only one, the other was not available back then and never shipped. Looking at this one now (which was in its tube even slightly bent during transport.. I am now thinking about straigthening or throwing away.

It is not in wrapping paper, which speaks for a non-NOS part most probably.
How to differentiate them if no comparison available. I could guess that the cheap reproparts of today are thin alum, mine seems to be of thicker material. Were there major differences in the NOS, early and late service parts and late reproparts of the 90ies?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 1967/68 Rocker Panel molding
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 02:35:00 PM »
The repro are much softer.  Holding one next to a new or NOS, there will be small differences around the edges and bends.  Not aware of any significant differences in assembly line and service replacements.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline T5owner

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 01:07:52 PM »
Thank you. Looking at these NOS ones may come with the front mounting piece installed and repros not?

https://www.ebay.com/p/NOS-OEM-Ford-1967-1968-Mustang-Shelby-Rocker-Mouldings-Trim-Pair/1028770488

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 01:43:59 PM »
Thank you. Looking at these NOS ones may come with the front mounting piece installed and repros not?

The NOS 67-8 ones I've seen usually have the front clips already installed.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 02:14:27 PM »
I purchased my NOS Rocker Panel Moldings from my Ford Parts Counter three decades ago. They of course were not in stock, so they had to be ordered in. When they arrived, interestingly, they were in two different types of packaging. One was in a long brown paper "envelope" with the Ford Part Number printed in black ink on both sides of the outside, and brown paper with a "block" FoMoCo on the inside (first picture). The other was in a totally different type of envelope ; the "back" side was a piece of brown paper on one side with the Ford Part Number printed in blue ink, the other side also being brown, but with the addition of the Ford Oval and the printing of "Service Parts printed in USA", and shrink wrapped in clear plastic on the front side (picture 2).  On both, the front clip was installed in the molding (picture 3). Luckily, both had on the inside, unopened "bags" of the "attaching parts", SUBK - 1622 - K (several pictures showing bag and contents).
I have heard of some "NOS" moldings that came with no hardware, much less an unopened bag of it, which makes one wonder if they were truly NOS.
Also of interest is the number of retainers that came with each Kit ; both had 6. While this would cover most cases, it does not cover mine. My 67 Convertible was built January 31, 1967 in Dearborn, and came from the Factory with 7 retainers on both sides. This will of course result in my using the 6 NOS retainers and one of my originals on each side.

As far as having your old moldings repaired or trying to find new NOS ones, you may want to look at having what you have restored. I say this based on the most recent ones I saw listed (I can't remember if on Ebay or one of the Forum's "Parts for Sale" listings, but it was for $600 . While I also can't remember whether it noted "each" or "per pair", not cheap in either case. One would think that you could have them straightened and re-anodized for about half of that.

Hope this helps.

Bob

P.S. For more detailed discussion on the 67-68 Rocker Panel moldings, you may want to look at this topic ; http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=14077.msg87512#msg87512
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline T5owner

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 07:53:05 AM »
Thank you very much for the details. It helped a lot.
I think I have one of a cheaper variety from the 90ies.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 03:41:07 PM »
I suspect the cost might be more then 600.00 to restore them. First to strip off the anodizing before repairing dings and polishing. I don't know if more then the most miner rock chips could be polished smooth without being noticeable . The next step to to find someone that does the "brite dip" anodizing which gives the correct look. Regular anodizing does not give the right look on a polished part. If anyone has been successful at restoring a set to look as good as a NOS part I would like to hear about it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 08:11:43 PM »
Bob, I think I have my ducks lined up to get this done for well under $600.  I've picked up a few original used ones in the $5-$20 range, picking the best of the litter each time.  So far, 4 out of 4, as soon as they are sanded down during the prep process, the road rash shows up.  In order to get one good enough for plating, it would end up being too thin.   I've seen a few items done (that are not subject to road rash) and the final product is excellent.  I'll keep a lookout for rocker panel moldings but it is not high on my priority list.  I figure that as soon as I stop looking they will show up.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660