Author Topic: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Fastback VIN Tag Rivits  (Read 2210 times)

Online 67gta289

Re: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Fastback VIN Tag Rivits
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2019, 08:39:59 PM »
See reply #1 - dash rivets are "nothing special".  Go to your favorite hardware store to buy pop rivets.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline TUMBLEPORT SVT

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2019, 08:43:25 PM »
Make sure that you use the same rivets , steel or aluminum , as the originals.

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2019, 08:44:52 PM »
See reply #1 - dash rivets are "nothing special".  Go to your favorite hardware store to buy pop rivets.

Thanks John. I believe that are called blind rivets. I will just use the right size and I should be good to go
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2019, 08:49:18 PM »
Make sure that you use the same rivets , steel or aluminum , as the originals.

What did the factory use. Mine looked very generic and I noticed that you can order the door tag style through AMK aka Data Plate rivets
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 12:13:45 AM »
What did the factory use. Mine looked very generic and I noticed that you can order the door tag style through AMK aka Data Plate rivets
I believe it was a steel pop rivet for the windshield tag. Of course the door data plate rivets are a different style compared to the pop rivets used for the windshield tag .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 06:42:37 PM »

First your not suppose to remove the tag nor alter the attaching hardware.

As for what the rivets are made of test them first with a magnet. Think they might be steel but don't have pictures nor recall seeing rusty ones.

The ones used for your year and plant appear to be standard rivets like what you can find at the local hardware store
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 06:59:20 PM »
First your not suppose to remove the tag nor alter the attaching hardware.

As for what the rivets are made of test them first with a magnet. Think they might be steel but don't have pictures nor recall seeing rusty ones.

The ones used for your year and plant appear to be standard rivets like what you can find at the local hardware store

Well thats a bummer! That is what I checked here first before I removed the VIN, otherwise I would not have removed it! See below

Quote from: bullitt68 on September 25, 2019, 01:21:26 AM
Just checking to confirm if these rivets look original. One looks older and one look fresher. Not sure what the originals should look like, but thought I should ask before assuming. FYI I am thinking of doing some media blasting and will not remove the vin if it looks like the rivets are original. If they are original I will tape it up well.

Thanks
The rivets holding the vin tag on were nothing special. Yes in your case one seems to have a different patina then the other. Take them off or leave them on. I personally would not want to run the risk of the vin tag getting damaged . Since you can't tell the different once reinstalled you are not losing anything by removing and re installing. In your case at least two different ones will most likely match each other better. Some people are funny about drilling out those common pop rivets as if it is desecrating the car in some way. To each their own. Regardless you have a choice.
Mike

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2019, 03:09:39 PM »
"The rivets holding the vin tag on were nothing special. "

+1, the rivits weren't special until 70 when they went to the "rosette" rivits. I'm pretty sure that Federally, you're allowed to remove and replace the VIN tag on the same car during restoration. Some states have tougher regulations …..

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2019, 03:26:43 PM »

+1, the rivits weren't special until 70 when they went to the "rosette" rivits. I'm pretty sure that Federally, you're allowed to remove and replace the VIN tag on the same car during restoration. Some states have tougher regulations …..

Thanks. Obviously it is too late for me now, but I am in Canada and not sure what the regulations are. Normally I never remove the VIN Tag during restoration, but the advice I was given appeared like removing it was common or an accepted practice so I proceeded. The VIN was only off the car for a brief period of time, not that it matters, but since it has the generic style rivets  guess it is pretty hard to tell if it has been removed from the car
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2019, 05:19:13 PM »

The "nothing special" was a comment I believe that was specific to the plant and year being discussed not a blanket statement covering all applications or at least that is what I meant.

Have examples of the rosette on many cars built prior to 70.  Just so others will not make the wrong choice if they have to reattach their VIN plate.  And Federally I can't see any provision that would apply to being OK for restoration purposes currently and in the past they simple published that no detachment was allowed. Not going provide a public list of which years and plants used this or that promised my dad that I would not use his data (what he left and taught me) in that way nor is it a good idea in general 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 05:22:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2019, 05:01:53 PM »
 "Federally I can't see any provision that would apply to being OK for restoration purposes currently and in the past they simple published that no detachment was allowed."

Subsection B, Paragraph 2, part B and D  of section 511 should keep you out of jail if you remove the VIN in an honest repair setting.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/511

Where you may get crossed up is how your state views a vehicle once the VIN has been removed and reinstalled …….

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2019, 05:09:58 PM »
"Federally I can't see any provision that would apply to being OK for restoration purposes currently and in the past they simple published that no detachment was allowed."

Subsection B, Paragraph 2, part B and D  of section 511 should keep you out of jail if you remove the VIN in an honest repair setting.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/511

Where you may get crossed up is how your state views a vehicle once the VIN has been removed and reinstalled …….

Not certain I would want to hang my hat on "should's"  What I've seen happen in a number of states is the agencies impounding the vehicle than its up to the "owner" to prove that the car is the car (VIN) that the owner claims. In many of the cases I've been involved with the state often chooses the safe path and destroys the factory VIN and assigns a new one

We're sort of getting a bit off thread bit and discussions always seem to water down to each persons level of comfort and exposure. As most of us are aware - law and rules are not really facts until they are tested and decided to in a court and even then its not always finished. This subject (to remove and replace) is often discussed in relationship with replacing or remaking stamped VIN's in a unibody.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 05:15:02 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2019, 06:03:44 PM »
Not certain I would want to hang my hat on "should's"  What I've seen happen in a number of states is the agencies impounding the vehicle than its up to the "owner" to prove that the car is the car (VIN) that the owner claims. In many of the cases I've been involved with the state often chooses the safe path and destroys the factory VIN and assigns a new one
The best answer is to don't mention this little "cleanup" to anyone in authority (read bureaucracy). I've been stopped by "the law" for the infamous "no shoulder harness" in a 66, "no backup lights" in a 65 and "no smog equipment" in a 64. The street cop don't know, the registration people don't care.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.