Author Topic: Small Block Water Neck/Connection Assy Cylinder Head Water Outlet  (Read 2772 times)

Offline 67gta289

Re: Water Neck - Thermostat Housing, 289 -
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2021, 09:14:49 PM »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2021, 12:22:43 AM »
Three different names for the same part. No wonder the search don't work.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2021, 12:29:51 AM »
Jim:Is there a typo in your description of the repro thermostat housing?  You state "It is identified with a number "C3OE-8594" on the base of the large fitting".  Shouldn't it be 8592?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2021, 01:12:48 AM »
Jim:Is there a typo in your description of the repro thermostat housing?  You state "It is identified with a number "C3OE-8594" on the base of the large fitting".  Shouldn't it be 8592?
The C3OE-8594 is incorrectly cast on the bottom side of the housing of the early repros. I  think that that there are other repro versions out there now but still far from being exact compared to a original.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2021, 12:43:56 PM »
The C3OE-8594 is incorrectly cast on the bottom side of the housing of the early repros.
I did a sanity check on two Mustang parts sellers' websites before I added the picture of the repro I have and the incorrect number is visible - barely - on the bottom side, of their ads. Apparently the problem still exists.
I  think that that there are other repro versions out there now but still far from being exact compared to a original.

I looked at another Mustang parts seller that stated "new" and "improved" but could not tell anything about the part's marking.
In the 60-68 edition of Ford Car Parts (aka MPC), the part's group is 8592-8594, indicating that the original engineering part used two base numbers. The base number, 8594, is listed as a service number C0AE-8594-A on the 223 CID, 6 cylinder engine.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Morsel

Re: Small Block Water Neck/Connection Assy Cylinder Head Water Outlet
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2021, 04:10:59 PM »
Because I've been doing some looking for the correct one, I have a couple other questions about the markings on the C5OE housings.

In the picture you'll see I've circled two other areas.

1) On the left one, what does this number 4 mean? I've see 3, 4, and 5.

2) Also on the right circled area, I've see the A below like seen here in the first picture, and following the casting number like the second image (also notice the number is 8592 in the second image).

I have one similar to the first picture, but it's tired and trying to find a better less pitted one.

Thanks as always for the good information.

Jason

« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 04:16:59 PM by Morsel »
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2021, 04:16:16 PM »
Jason,
Read my reply, number 13, of this thread.
Jim

Offline Morsel

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2021, 04:28:49 PM »
Jason,
Read my reply, number 13, of this thread.
Jim

Ahh, missed that one. Thank you. Have you ever seen one like the second photo like the one in my post above? Never seen one with all the info and "8592A" all next to each other, it's an original obviously with the other markings on it, but wondering if it's a later service part or what?

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline Dan Case

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2021, 04:58:16 PM »
You may also come across a C2OE engineering prefix part. I came across some looking for C3OE and C4OE prefix versions for Cobra engines.
Dan
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2021, 05:01:20 PM »
Keep in mind that if pitting is limited to what is covered by the radiator hose then a skim coat of JB weld over the pits will help it last maybe another 20 years or so. If the rest of the housing is nice the extra effort may save time and money.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Morsel

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2021, 06:06:18 PM »
Keep in mind that if pitting is limited to what is covered by the radiator hose then a skim coat of JB weld over the pits will help it last maybe another 20 years or so. If the rest of the housing is nice the extra effort may save time and money.

Good one Bob, done this before with other things and always worked well, should have thought of that too.

Jason

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2021, 07:14:00 PM »
Answering a question that was on my list to ask.
Thanks.
Jim

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2021, 07:18:12 PM »
You may also come across a C2OE engineering prefix part. I came across some looking for C3OE and C4OE prefix versions for Cobra engines.
Those parts may be of the type where the thermostat mounting has an indent in the intake manifold and not on the Water Neck/Thermostat (and every other colloquial name in the book) thingie.
Jim

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2021, 07:19:10 PM »
Ahh, missed that one. Thank you. Have you ever seen one like the second photo like the one in my post above? Never seen one with all the info and "8592A" all next to each other, it's an original obviously with the other markings on it, but wondering if it's a later service part or what?
Back to my number 13 post.
Jim

Offline Dan Case

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2021, 02:16:19 PM »
Those parts may be of the type where the thermostat mounting has an indent in the intake manifold and not on the Water Neck/Thermostat (and every other colloquial name in the book) thingie.
Jim

In Bob Mannel's book production 221/260/289 intakes were machined with counter bored pockets for thermostat flanges to fit into before about March 1, 1965. Parts marked C2OE, C3OE, and C4OE in his book are for use with intakes counter bored for thermostats. His book indicates that the C5OE marked part adopted the counter bored feature and now care must be taken to use housings and intakes in proper combination.

Racing wise some of the Ford race intakes could have obtained with or without the counter bored pocket even in 1967. My examples are the Group II 2-4V intakes for the Shelby Mustang racers for the 1967 season. Intake serial number 4 used in the Shelby-Titus car part of the season has a machined pocket so a C2OE, C3OE, or C4OE housing is required. The intake installed on one of the last Shelby racers had no pocket so a C5OE part was required.
Dan
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.