Author Topic: Carpet  (Read 1678 times)

Offline CCP

Carpet
« on: June 28, 2019, 11:43:09 AM »
  Getting ready to order carpet for this '66 convertible. ACC seems to be about the best out there. They offer something called a "mass backed option". Does anyone have any good/bad advice regarding this? Never heard of it, and it adds about a hundred bucks to the price.

Thanks, Pete.
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack
1968 Shelby GT500KR
6F08A-GT,a/c,4-sp.,ps,build date 16A. DSO 24 Jacksonville

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Carpet
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 11:46:34 AM »
imo it is worth the extra $$. makes the fit much better. to my knowledge ACC is now the only game in town. others may have a different view.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 02:22:36 PM »
Reproduction carpet should be inspected as soon as it arrives. Leaving it in the box until you need it makes it difficult to deal with any problems you may find later. Sometimes the carpet is put in the press on an angle so check that and all the other details

Mass back is better IMHO since it covers up the fact that the reproduction is not woven as close together as original. The extra rubber does mean that at places you may need to carve or remove some of the stuff and heat will help adjust the curves a little better to your cars floor and features or at least that has been my experience
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 02:56:28 PM »
+1 to what Jeff mentioned.  I had one that the shifter hole was cut in the wrong location.

I know that others like the mass-back, but I'm not a big fan.  The couple I've bought were poor quality, the carpet pile was 'sparse' and could see right through it to the dark color of the mass-back coating.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline preaction

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 04:40:35 PM »
I returned one recently because of poor placement in the shaping mold I wonder what they have been doing with the returns ? Don Rush Of WCCC has an interview of owner of ACC on their web site.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 04:43:49 PM by preaction »
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 10:38:51 PM »
I returned one recently because of poor placement in the shaping mold I wonder what they have been doing with the returns ? Don Rush Of WCCC has an interview of owner of ACC on their web site.

May sell them as seconds through someone else at a swap meet or two

One of the companies I use to own did this once a year. Took all the seconds to a large swap meet - cut the price in half and the stuff flew out to buyers looking to save money and not concerned that their car/parts had visible )big or small) flaws Often beaters or daily drivers
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 10:49:46 PM »
Always best to get jute material separate form carpet if possible .This keeps you from having to separate from carpet so that it lays out nice . Many times the wrong placement of the jute material to the carpet is the culprit for poor fitting carpet.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rrenz

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 05:17:12 PM »
+1 I did the same with ACC after trying another brand. fits great now
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary