Author Topic: 1970 Deluxe Interior Woodgrain "button" remove / reinstall question  (Read 1208 times)

Offline hopeto

I'm redoing the upholstery in my 70 deluxe interior and need to re-use the woodgrain buttons on the new TMI covers. Any suggestions / tips on how to proceed on the removal and reinstallation on the new covers? Here's pics of the front and back of the buttons.

Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Deluxe Interior Woodgrain "button" remove / reinstall question
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 09:18:46 PM »
I would try. Drimmel type tool to take off/remove the mushroomed sections of the post

Reinstall and try epoxy on the post to reinforcement bracket until they are set up or if there was enough of the post left you might try one of the press washers as used on (only smaller dia) 65-66 fastback trunk spring rods.  Don't think there is enough height for a thin speed nut
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 01:09:21 AM »
An experiment:
Instead of completely removing the retaining heads, use a Dremmel tool to "slice" off the "mushroomed" portion leaving the stem, aka leaving a shaft, to attach epoxy, something for the epoxy to grab on to.
For "epoxy", consider JB Weld. Use a short section of plastic straw (banned in San Francisco) to form a new "mushroom" head.
Just tossing out some ideas.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline hopeto

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 10:17:59 AM »
I cut them out of the old covers and removed all material between the button and backing plate. Then using a Dremmel I went around the perimeter (did not chop it off even with the retainer plate) of the swedge until I could remove the backing plate. That left a slight bulge at the top of the pin. You will need all the height of the pin. To reinstall I used small speed/push nuts, similar to those shown, using a small deep socket as a drive tool. Just to make sure they wouldn't come loose I mixed up some JB Weld and applied with a toothpick. Thanks for the ideas.

Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 12:29:33 PM »
Jeff,
This thread should be in the library.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 04:21:04 PM »
Jeff,
This thread should be in the library.
Jim

I'll talk to hopeto about reusing his pictures and text so that we can convert this information into a how to. Would apply (reason why I left here in the general area) to many different years and models that used a seat insert.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)