Author Topic: Engine Pulley Finish - General Discussion  (Read 1153 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Engine Pulley Finish - General Discussion
« on: January 04, 2020, 04:47:00 PM »
The original finish of engine pulleys (water pump and crankshaft) has come up a number of times within other discussions but figured we could start a thread just focused on these items on their own.

Here are a couple of NOS pulleys with their original finishes. These were boxed during the year that the parts and cars were being built so they are not later service replacements. Believe there were a number of different providers so we may uncover some variation but too much or a build up of thick paint on the mating surfaces would likely create fit issues and make quick assembly at the plants problematic

These three are from a FE engine compartment air conditioning kit

Water pump. Not sure why the little paint chip rusted (about 7 o'clock) and the bare surfaces didn't  :o

Crankshaft pulley

Close up - Guess I could have knocked some more of the dust off it but you get the idea - almost no paint on this one where the crank and bolts would pass through
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 04:50:19 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

Re: Engine Pulley Finish - General Discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 05:05:45 PM »
Way back in 1986, I bought a NOS three sheaf lower pulley from my local Ford dealer for a 66 289 A code to pass smog and from the unopened box, the pulley had what can be best described as a rubber band or 1/2 inch diameter rubber tube in the smaller pulley section. It was used as a paint mask for the grove. The two larger sheaves looked liked they had a paint mask as well. For some reason, Ford kept the grooves of the pulley free from pain, probably so the belts would not slip.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 05:14:35 PM »
First big question, can you tell if they are dipped like a lot of other parts?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 07:04:22 PM »
First big question, can you tell if they are dipped like a lot of other parts?
In the case of the pictures Jeff posted yes. Notice the foggy paint edge. That is from spray paint. You are late to the discussion apparently from the question as this thread was a off shoot of one about idler pulleys and how they were painted. So far the indications are for both way maybe depending on mfg or specific pulley.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 09:10:11 PM »
I tend to post a lot when my back hurts and I'm not in the shop.

This picture:

looks a bit like restored parts I store.
Media blasting makes steel items want to rust very quickly. After blasting I take them over to the sink area, spray them down with Clean & Etch, wipe them with a paper towel and then force air dry them to remove any left over phosphate.
This leaves the part similar to the grayish area that looks bare.
I've stored phosphated but bare parts for years without paint and no trace of rust.

The gray (not ashen, just slightly darker than bare steel) parts can then be painted as the phosphate holds paint very well. It also acts as a secondary protectant to the paint.

Makes me wonder if the maker of the pulley could have done a light phosphate bath as a way to clean these prior to spraying.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 09:28:48 AM »
I believe smog pump pulleys were dipped.  I am away from the shop for the winter but do have this one photo where you can see the very complete paint coverage inside the bolt holes and pilot hole.

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 06:05:52 PM »
Some of the sub contractors may have been using electrostatic painting which would provide full coverage but not produce visible drips but a pretty consistent overall finish inside the pulley. Precursor to powder coating
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)