Author Topic: Boeshield T9  (Read 713 times)

Offline ruger

Boeshield T9
« on: March 18, 2020, 06:33:37 PM »
I used Boeshield T9 on the metal finished parts.  Now the question is.    What kind of a texture is left after a thorough wipe down.  I wiped the heck out of the parts.  Still feels like it's a little oily.   I have zero experience with this.  Thanks
1969 Sportsroof Mustang E'
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline OldGuy

Re: Boeshield T9
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 06:46:52 PM »
"Oily" is a good thing. No matter how hard you wipe the parts (with a dry rag-no solvent), there should still be a thin film of oil/paraffin on the surface. The "film" is what protects the surface from moisture.

For parts that will be on the shelf for awhile, I spray a rather heavy coat of T9 on the surface and allow them to air dry. The paraffin rises to the surface to form the desired moisture barrier. Just prior to installation you can spray the parts again and wipe them (or not).

Remember, the parts were oiled from the factory.

Frank

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 07:23:34 PM »
Remember, the parts were oiled from the factory.
That was, for the most part, residual process oil from quenching oil used on forged parts or machine oil from machined parts, as examples. Stamped parts were oiled to facilitate removal from dies, as in fenders. That oil was minimal and removed prior to priming and painting.
Still, applying oil for long term storage of a lot of items is an excellent idea.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ruger

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 09:35:28 PM »
I wiped it dry with a cloth after letting it sit for over 24 hrs.  After wiping it down it feels much much better.  I was afraid it was a little oily and would attract dust and dirt.  Looks great now. 
1969 Sportsroof Mustang E'
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968