Author Topic: Differential Plant Code  (Read 1911 times)

Offline cobrajet_carl

Re: Differential Plant Code
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2020, 06:14:15 PM »
Plant Code sometimes means the code corresponding to a specific physical plant, and sometimes it means a code used at a plant to identify a specific part. In this case it is the latter.
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 06:17:49 PM »
Since Jeff's example with an 8J date links the WES-M assy to identification number 936, and you have an 8A date...you might have been given the answer.  Something closer to confirm that there was no change in between would be nice.

If 936 identifies the rear end as being a WES-M I guess cross confirmation would not be a terrible thing but if they are both related then buildsheets ( of which we have through both periods might be enough documentation.  Just a consideration IMHO though if someone wants to track it down  - all would be good

Jeff, it is my understanding that the axles were shipped out of the Sterling (Heights, Michigan) axle plant as complete assemblies, so would think that the tag was stamped and affixed at the axle plant.  That would mean that a 936 would be the same across all assembly plants.  Any comment or correction to this?

Agreed - the tag would have been installed at Sterling and they supplier all three plants. See no way it would work any different
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2020, 12:07:20 PM »
Carl

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2020, 04:34:59 PM »
https://www.deadnutson.com/rear-axle-paper-id-tags/

This is a good reference.

The MPC's each list the rearend coding used to identify the completed unit and include a wider range (year and application) See Reply #7 for a small look into what is included

Guess I could put a list or two in an article and post it in the Library. Shouldn't be much work

Thanks for the idea
Jeff Speegle

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 01:36:14 PM »
The MPC's each list the rearend coding used to identify the completed unit and include a wider range (year and application) See Reply #7 for a small look into what is included
The OP was asking about the plant code, which is not addressed in the MPC. The plant codes must be available because Kevin makes metal tags and Jack sells paper tags. One thing I have found interesting for 1970 production is that some build sheets have a "0" in font of the plant code and on some it is blank.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 11:21:25 AM by cobrajet_carl »
Carl

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 02:14:18 PM »
I would say that there are two questions at least:

1. Does each individual "axle model code" align with a unique and single "plant code"?  In the example used here, is the WES-M always a 936?  If yes, for all years, several years, or a certain model year?

2. Does someone have a list that cross references these two codes?

Since both codes appear on the same tag, and since that tag was applied at the axle assembly plant, it would only make sense that both codes were applied at the same time.  This causes me to think that there is a one to one unique relationship between the codes.

But why have two codes?  To avoid errors, a 936 is easier to remember than a WES-M.  999 permutations with 3 numbers compared to 358,800 with 4 letters.  Of course adding the "A" to the 936 adds to the equation, but only if there were also a 936B and others.

I agree it would be interesting to hear from Kevin or Jack on this.  I would think that getting a replacement tag for a 67 GT500 or 69 B9 would be way more popular than a 66 Bronco with an I6, so they may simply be using reference data from known examples.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2020, 02:46:17 PM »
Again I can only speak for a small subset of 68s, but yes one code for each

Here are the 68 Shelbys

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/SUSPENSION.HTML

In the build sheet code the first letter, refers to the year, except in the case of the DSO axles
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 02:49:25 PM by Coralsnake »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2020, 03:46:22 PM »
The OP was asking about the plant code, which is not addressed in the MPC. The plant codes must be available because Kevin makes metal tags and Jack makes paper tags. One thing I have found interesting for 1970 production is that the some build sheets have a "0" in font of the plant code and on some it is blank.

Believe Kevin has a list  and it appears that jack (someone else makes the tags and Jack resells them (if I understand the process correctly). From Jacks website it looks like they have made efforts to reassemble a list from cars and or buildsheets, that is why his list includs a column for "verified"

The later process works if your focusing on certain axle codes for the labels but would be difficult trying to collect every combination for every year. Pete's list shows an example of this also.
Jeff Speegle