Author Topic: Paint Break  (Read 4849 times)

Offline aaatp

Paint Break
« on: January 28, 2011, 06:02:57 PM »
Hey Guys: My painter is getting ready to paint the engine compartment on my convertible, and I would like to know
where the paint break is in the front of the transmission tunnel, between the engine compartment black and the
primer on the underside of the car. I've spent the afternoon searching this site and others to no avail. My car is a
1966 Dearborn convertible with a proposed build of Feb 18th 1966.
Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Paint Break
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 12:23:09 PM »
From what I have seen no two are exactly alike . It varied . It depended on how far the painters reach was or how much in a hurry they were at the time I guess. It was a faded transition and not a distinct line.  The face of the firewall was supposed to be blacked out and so the tunnel area was faded as a by product of getting the firewall covered so you have a lot of latitude in this area IMHO. I mostly see all of the face of the firewall covered and not many with more then 1/3 -1/2 of the tunnel faded in . I hesitate to give a exact specific amount or area for fear of the cookie cutter effect. I hope this helps. Bob
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 07:31:44 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline aaatp

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 03:03:30 PM »
Bob: Thank You, this is good information, I did not think it was a distinct line but figured it faded, but wasn't sure how far back. Now I understand.

Thanks Again: John

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 08:08:12 PM »
Agree with Bis description of the face of the firewall being well covered and the transition taking place on the bottom angle part of the firewall before it reaches the flat bottom section that matches the floor pan

That is a long reach (taking likely more effort that most painters were normally willing to give every car) to the bottom most of that surface. Also plenty of surface on that panel to fade away with out any noticeable edge or stop
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dan green

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 08:48:25 PM »
Here are a couple of pics of a September 66 1967 convertible that I painted recently.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 08:51:26 PM by dan green »

Offline aaatp

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 11:16:54 PM »
Thanks to everyone for helping me get up to speed on this. Dan, the pictures are greatly appreciated and a big help.

Thanks Again: John

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 09:49:47 PM »
Here are a couple of pics of a September 66 1967 convertible that I painted recently.

Looks good - one suggestion if I might (we're all here to share and learn ;) Next time aim the black pinch weld spray gun at a flatter angle. On  original cars we see that the pinch weld normally produces a shadow on the floor pan directly behind it and the black travels further inward a bit.

A couple of examples - thought we can see that much of the light overspray as been erased by the elements and time (and the sun in these example also)

Great job - did you shoot over the original floor paint and what factory?

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 10:06:58 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline dan green

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 11:47:56 PM »
It is a SJ car.  I had the car media blasted but took a lot of pics before blasting to document the drip and run patterns under the car and did my best to reproduce them.  I had the "red oxide" matched and formulated (so I can Buy it whenever and in any quantity I want) a few years ago by my local paint store in acrylic enamel that I catalyze and flatten.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 11:56:20 PM by dan green »

Offline jk66gt350

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 02:52:16 PM »
I believe I've seen it stated that the pinch weld blackout was only sprayed on lighter color cars.  Is that correct, and if so, what colors would you expect to see the pinch weld painted or not?  Would a red SJ car have had the pinch weld areas painted semi-gloss black?  Thanks

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 03:58:18 PM »
i have seen that feature on all but black cars. others may have a different opinion on that.
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 07:45:31 PM »
i have seen that feature on all but black cars. others may have a different opinion on that.
I agree. Technically I think they were not supposed to pinch weld paint the dark color cars because they didn't need to hide the pinchweld. Because the overwhelming evidence in fact shows that a lot of dark cars were done I can envision a assemblyline worker in his own little world painting everything that came along instead of having to think about  if this color was to dark or too light to paint. It wasn't hurt full to the car so it was overlooked .Just my thoughts on the subject.Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 08:53:04 PM »
.................. Because the overwhelming evidence in fact shows that a lot of dark cars were done I can envision a assemblyline worker in his own little world painting everything that came along instead of having to think about  if this color was to dark or too light to paint.....................

+1  My current feelings on the subject based on all the "dark" colors we've been seeing them blacked out on
Jeff Speegle