Author Topic: Left/Right Plug Wires  (Read 6651 times)

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
Re: Left/Right Plug Wires
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 07:24:43 AM »
Just saw a e-bay listing, for these tag, by vintage auto literature.  In the description they say these tags were used by Kar Kraft on the 69-70 boss 429 cars only and were for assembly purposes.  For what its worth.  Brian

Thanks.  I thought it may be something like that.   Since my car is a 1966 Boss 429 Convertible, I'm gonna use them.  LOL
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 09:13:55 PM »
Just saw a e-bay listing, for these tag, by vintage auto literature.  In the description they say these tags were used by Kar Kraft on the 69-70 boss 429 cars only and were for assembly purposes.  For what its worth.  Brian

Another migrating detail :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 10:23:36 PM »
Thanks.  I thought it may be something like that.   Since my car is a 1966 Boss 429 Convertible, I'm gonna use them.  LOL
I spoke with Ed Meyer about this subject. Ed is a well known parts connoisseur and Boss 429 expert. Ed has seen the tags on assembled right and left plug looms for BOSS 429 as well as other more generic varieties that were procured unused from the assembly plant and not a parts department. So it isn't just a Boss 9 thing as the seller infered.  He is also puzzled why he has not seen the paper tags or remnants of any on the many low mileage survivor cars he has worked on and owned over the years. He will not sleep until he figures it out. I can hear the bi**hing now ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bryancobb

• 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 06:30:18 AM »
Well here we goooooo Mr. Gaines....
I didn't mean to cause anyone insomnia! LOL
As I said earlier in this thread, having the left four and right four wires preassembled and tagged before they were placed on the engine makes sense, from a production point of view.

My guess is that when Mr. Meyer gets to the bottom of it, we will find out that they were used but were very flimsy paper labes that fell off the first time the engine compartment got hot...  just speculation.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 11:05:55 AM »
Well here we goooooo Mr. Gaines....
I didn't mean to cause anyone insomnia! LOL
As I said earlier in this thread, having the left four and right four wires preassembled and tagged before they were placed on the engine makes sense, from a production point of view.

My guess is that when Mr. Meyer gets to the bottom of it, we will find out that they were used but were very flimsy paper labels that fell off the first time the engine compartment got hot...  just speculation.
That would of course be the most obvious answer the thing that doesn't make a answer like that clear cut is that the labels had to be substantial enough to stay on and be handled as in moving them and in grabbing them from the bin and installing on the car for the purpose of identification.It wasn't like they were tissue paper. They were of some substance. The ones that ecs makes are copied off of originals Special Ed provided. If they were that fragile there be problems at the assemblyline level. If it weren't for that type of reality this would have been put to bed a long time ago. It may turn out to be that is or is part of the answer but unfortunately there are a few nagging details that keep the door from easily being closed. Hopefully information will present itself that will help end the mystery.Bob   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 11:35:33 AM »
 The tags you are referring to are engineering tags. They were used as pre  production ID tags in my opinion. The same style tags were used on many items on the motor. I had a pre production crated Boss 351 Motor that had the tags on every thing. I've had them on plug wires , fuel lines, 428 heat shields and S tubes to name a few. I've had them on 427 SOHC plug wires as well as many other SOHC parts. I have one set of 289 Hi-po wires with the engineering number inked on the #5 plug end boot. All the mentioned items were from assy line plant workers, Holman & Moody or Bud Moore etc off Nos crate motors etc. My feeling is if you have a real sticker I think it's pretty cool detail item. I have original stickers for several plug wire applications but cannot confirm they were used as normal production items? I personally feel the repops look hoaky and would not use them. Just my observations and opinion.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 12:32:12 PM »
The tags you are referring to are engineering tags. They were used as pre  production ID tags in my opinion. The same style tags were used on many items on the motor. I had a pre production crated Boss 351 Motor that had the tags on every thing. I've had them on plug wires , fuel lines, 428 heat shields and S tubes to name a few. I've had them on 427 SOHC plug wires as well as many other SOHC parts. I have one set of 289 Hi-po wires with the engineering number inked on the #5 plug end boot. All the mentioned items were from assy line plant workers, Holman & Moody or Bud Moore etc off Nos crate motors etc. My feeling is if you have a real sticker I think it's pretty cool detail item. I have original stickers for several plug wire applications but cannot confirm they were used as normal production items? I personally feel the repops look hoaky and would not use them. Just my observations and opinion.
That sounds like the same thing Ed said. Bob

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 02:48:14 AM »
I came across some interesting sets of NOS assemblyline wire sets at the Columbus swap this past week end . I came to the realization based on these assemblyline wires that were swiped out of the Detroit plant decades ago that the reason why I haven't seen the tags in vintage engine photos is because they are mounted low on the wires by the plugs instead of on the top side where the ECS instructions say is correct to mount them and would be able to be seen in photos. With them mounted low on the wires most all engine shots would be at the wrong angle to view them in photos.  I bought one of the wire sets to keep as providence.  One set was a 73 set and the other a late 66 early 67 set. They both had the tags mounted low by the plug boot. The space between the years of wires seems to indicate a pattern of usage and placement of tags across a number of years. I thought I would share the photos of the 73 wires. Bob
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:51:17 AM by Bob Gaines »

Offline bryancobb

• 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 07:02:51 AM »
So now we know they were probably OE on at least SOME cars.  Would the engines have been shipped from the Windsor or Cleveland plants to the three assembly plants with plugs and wires, or would plugs and wires be installed at Dearborn, Metuchen, or San Jose?

Also, it appears that each bank of wires has two tags for a total of four?
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 10:38:01 AM »
So now we know they were probably OE on at least SOME cars.  Would the engines have been shipped from the Windsor or Cleveland plants to the three assembly plants with plugs and wires, or would plugs and wires be installed at Dearborn, Metuchen, or San Jose?

Also, it appears that each bank of wires has two tags for a total of four?
Bryan , I folded over both banks of wires in one picture. one tag per bank of 4 wires. It would be my guess from the position of the wire that the heat generated from the exhaust manifolds would quickly dry out the adhesive and make the thin paper of the tags  brittle causing the tags to break loose and disappear in short order because of the wind currents that a driving car supplemented with a fan would cause. From the photos I have seen it appears the wires were installed at the engine plant and is my assumption for now. Just some more information and opinion for the discussion. Bob
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:28:43 PM by Bob Gaines »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 08:00:37 PM »
............From the photos I have seen it appears the wires were installed at the engine plant and is my assumption for now. Just some more information and opinion for the discussion. Bob

+1  That is what the palletized engines I have pictures of show (spark plug wires in place)

Thanks for sharing this finding - sorry I missed Columbus this year - can't go to everything ;) if seems
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)