Author Topic: Red vs. Gold oil filters  (Read 7513 times)

Offline YELLOWBOSS2

Red vs. Gold oil filters
« on: February 21, 2011, 07:17:51 PM »
Can anyone explain the time line when the Ford dealers used the red then the gold Rotunda oil filters and then the switch to Autolite.

Thanks

Dave

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Red vs. Gold oil filters
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 07:53:57 PM »
Generally, red for '65, gold for '66.  I'm sure there was overlap in usage, especially with dealers using them.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 02:43:57 AM »
Generally, red for '65, gold for '66.  I'm sure there was overlap in usage, especially with dealers using them.
To add to Charles post generally Autolite was 67 up but I am sure there was some overrlap in late 66 too. Bob 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline YELLOWBOSS2

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 06:45:10 PM »
Thanks for the info and the responses.

Dave

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 06:28:59 AM »
Is there an "accepted" date to as to when the "switch" was made from Red to Gold at the dealers?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 10:19:19 AM »
Is there an "accepted" date to as to when the "switch" was made from Red to Gold at the dealers?

Not really.  B. Perkins might know when the Gold ones were introduced.  Otherwise, would generalize and say red for '65 up through early '66 production and then Gold later.  I remember seeing some ads for either of them, maybe in some dealer mailings also.

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 06:03:02 PM »
 According to Ford Shop tips May 65 was the intro for the Gold 6000 mile Filter and Gold 6000 mile oil in quart and 5 quart Rotunda cans. I'm sure many dealers had a lot of old stock to use up before they received the Gold. I agree with Charles on application.

Offline autonomousbronco

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 05:09:33 PM »
I'd run into a similar issue and had spoke with Bob Perkins. He mentioned that the '65 Mustang's would have the Rotunda red oil filter while the '66 Mustangs should have the "Gold" oil filters. However, he mentioned that the oil filter was painted on the engine block at the factory, so it should match the engine block color if it's thoroughbred. There currently are reproductions for 30 dollars that look very convincing. I recommend going with one of these rather than a decal because the have the "double ridges" on the bottom like the originals.

Best of Luck in your restoration!
"When loading the trailer: Keep shiny side up and rubber side down."

Offline autonomousbronco

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 01:41:45 AM »
Just noticed Bob's comment above mine, He could let you know if I recalled correctly!  ;)
"When loading the trailer: Keep shiny side up and rubber side down."

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 09:07:26 PM »
According to Ford Shop tips May 65 was the intro for the Gold 6000 mile Filter and Gold 6000 mile oil in quart and 5 quart Rotunda cans. I'm sure many dealers had a lot of old stock to use up before they received the Gold. I agree with Charles on application.

My '65 K code has a scheduled build date of July 27th, 1965 almost 3 months after the Gold filters were introduced, so IF the original owner drove the 6000 miles on the original oil then took it to a Ford dealer to be changed sometime in early 1966 then IT would have gotten a Gold filter IMO.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 09:42:07 PM »
could be. but if the dealer has any leftover red ones they too could have been used.
5F09C331248

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 04:25:32 PM »

I agree.  It all depends on whatever the dealer's stock was at the time..whatever the dealer.  I'm sure that many red filters even got installed on early '67's if the Ford Dealership was big enough..  The dealer was going to use up whatever they had in stock. If Joe Blow Ford Mechanic went into the stock room, and there was a filter sitting on a shelf that fit, He used it.
  Today's Ford actions at your local dealer would be no different.  The only exception to this rule would be if a TSB went out stating halting the use of a specific part in lieu of a newer, better part...which did not ever happen in the case of these Red vs. Gold filters that I have ever heard of.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 04:31:18 PM »

Basically, in a nutshell, The Red filters were used up until supply was exhausted.. no matter what the dealership was.. If there was a case found in the corner of a stock room in a dealership somewhere, I'm sure that it got used..no matter what the timeframe was...even if it was 2-3 years later. It would just be a "fluke", and I am sure they existed.  We've seen many Ford dealerships empty their stock rooms in the early to mid 90's and what was found was shocking....Many Shelby parts, cases of Red filters, stuff you would not believe was still in there after 30+ years.  Just ask Bob Perkins.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 09:17:30 AM »
I am reading all the opinions about the oil filters here and agree 100%.
That said I am going to repete MY opinion:
My car, a Dearborn, July 27th (scheduled) build date in 1965, most likely was delivered to the Original dealer, a very small one at that, (O'Neill Ford, Inc.) in Greenvale, New York, in the first week of August 1965, sold to a Charles P. Swanson on August 11, 1965, my senerio is that Mr.Swanson took until late March of 1966 to put his first 6k miles on the car, took it back to O'Neill Ford to have the oil and filter changed, and the (again) mechanic opened the first case of Gold filters and installed one onto the Hipo engine....

Are the MCA judges likely to deduct the 2 points from my car because I chose a Gold filter??

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 09:25:07 AM »
Are the MCA judges likely to deduct the 2 points from my car because I chose a Gold filter??

For MCA concours, your car should represent how it was delivered when it was new to the original owner.  Therefore, it really ought to have a block color oil filter.  You can install a red one and be fine, but I would think you would lose at least 1 point for a Gold one.